Low pressure on power shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Des1984, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Des1984

Des1984 Member

Hi folks bit of a strange one really. I live out in the countryside so I'm on a water well with a storage tank in the garden.
    Basically I keep getting the low pressure light on my power shower. Here's the bit I find strange.
    When you turn the temp up past 5 the light goes off and the shower gets really hot and the water flow slows down.
    when you turn it to 5 or below the pressure light comes on it goes freezing cold and the water flow increases. The pump is running on both occasions.
    Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong?? It's completely baffled me!
    Thanks in advance!

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Restricted flow check shower inlet filters could be unbalanced water supplies

3. Des1984

Des1984 Member

Sorry not much use at these kinda things.
    What are Shower inlet filters?? What do you mean by unbalanced water supplies? Thanks

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Filters protect the valves from crud and unbalanced is where one supply is greater than the other. Doesn't sound like you ought to try yourself tbh..

5. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

When the temp control is high (above 5) then the shower is using more hot water and less cold. When the temp control is low (below 5) then the shower is using less hot and more cold.
    You have a supply problem when the shower needs most cold water, and the problem "goes away" when the shower needs less cold water.
    Hence, your problem is with the cold supply.

Since your supply is a water well fed, my first line of inquiry would be blocked pipes/filters on the cold supply. Is the problem just with the shower? What is the cold flow like on other taps that come from the garden storage tank? Presumably there is a pump between the tank and the main supply to the house. Is that running properly?

just pumps likes this.