Low Voltage downlighters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by nitram, Jan 28, 2004.

1. nitram

nitram New Member

Hi,

When installing low voltage Halogen lights in the ceiling; do you need to install any form of heat protection in the ceiling void, to guard against any damage caused by the heat of the Halogen lamp??

2. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yes, to comply with fire/building regs you should fit a fire hood over each downlighter fitting. These cost anything from £9.50+VAT each. Try a company called TLC - type it into your search engine and follow the links.

Hope this helps

3. Lee

Lee New Member

Martin the web address for TLC is www.tlc-direct.co.uk, which is a very good site. Also a point of interest for people to note is that when you install down lighters with a transformer, the transformers can some times create a lot of heat which convects through the plaster board, dry and 'burn' the ceiling which I have seen leave a visible mark in some homes and restaurants etc. (just have a look next time you see some). To avoid this simply place the transformer ontop of a 'scrap' piece of plasterboard that you would have thrown away anyway!

4. GeorgeR

GeorgeR New Member

I'm puzzled by this. The instructions with the low voltage halogen kit I recently bought doesn't mention this - just that there has to be a minimum air gap above the fitting. Are you sure this regulation applies to domestic installations?

5. GeorgeR

GeorgeR New Member

I've been trying to find out what the regs say about this - without much success, though it looks like The Trician is right and it is necessary to fit fire hoods. I'm not a qualified electrician so I'd appreciate someone who really knows confirming it one way or the other.

6. eyetry

eyetry New Member

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yup, don't foget to order and fit your firehoods.

Building Regs demand it. Piercing a fireproof barrier - i.e. a ceiling with a habitable room above etc. Check out the link in the previous post. READ IT ALL :)

Hope this helps