Low voltage halogen lights 3 x 12v / 20w

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kat'llsortit, Oct 30, 2003.

1. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

As these are not something I've installed before I would appreciate some advise. I'd like to install 5-6 lights, and have found the 3 lamp kits in the catalogue, it says beside it...spare lamps quote ...., my question is, is the max amount of lamps on one tranformer 3, or can more be added, or could...should I buy 2 kits and if so do I connect both to the mains. Obviously thinking of safety here so if there is any additional things I should do/know, plz let me know

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

the kits tend to have a maximum of 20w fittings, if you want more power use one transformer for each light, dont use kits

3. jj

jj New Member

4. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

ty supersparky, for your advise, wow theres alot more to these lights than I first thought, thats probably why up until now I have been unable to get any blurb on them, but ty much appreciated

Kat.

5. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

ty for your advise,links the kit I was referring to has dimmable transformer screwwfix vol 72 page 152, I noticed on one of the links you so kindly gave me, talk of protection boxes for the lamps, where do I get these? The reason for choosing halogens was because I intend to put a canapy over the bed, but am curious how hot they get to determine height/ distance of canapy away from the lights, appreciate any time you could give this, and thanks again for your help so far

Kat.

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

ty for your advise,links the kit I was referring to
    has dimmable transformer screwwfix vol 72 page 152, I
    noticed on one of the links you so kindly gave me,
    talk of protection boxes for the lamps, where do I
    get these? The reason for choosing halogens was
    because I intend to put a canapy over the bed, but am
    curious how hot they get to determine height/
    distance of canapy away from the lights, appreciate
    any time you could give this, and thanks again for
    your help so far

Kat.

i would say 18inches minimum of 12 for the canopy
    and if you talking about firesheilds, you are unlikly to need one, you only have to use one where the ceiling has a fire rating, eg. it must withstand fire for a set period of time.

BR

7. jj

jj New Member

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

all apart form the clear, those are pretty ugly lookin bulbs

9. jj

jj New Member

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

why have you posted the same thing twice?

11. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Another option is to fit a timber canopy and install LV lighting in it.

12. jj

jj New Member

RE: "why have you posted the same thing twice?"

I didn't, look closer.....

13. jj

jj New Member

Re: "all apart form the clear, those are pretty ugly lookin bulbs"

Fortunately they don't actually come like that, as the design has changed. They actually have a bezel that the l.e.d's poke through and an overall lens to enclose it all.

14. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

ty all again, ty also to Nigel for his suggestion of a wooden frame, however I feel it would be a little to bulky and masculine, I want to produce a light airy feel, with voile preferably. Anyway on another note no-one has answered my question of it is possible to rig up 2 kits mentioned above to the mains, as money is none existant getting alot for a little is unfortunately the only option, wardrobe, drawers etc to buy you know how it is, lol, so would it be ok? Can't see why it shouldn't be but it terms of safety I prefer a professional opinion, so get ya grey cells working lads, and let me know, ty again

Kat

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

No you cant uprate the bulbs in the kit, or add any, this is why most sparks use one transformer to a bulb system, so dont add or modyfy the kits in anyway or go fot the 1:1 option

BR

16. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

I dont understand what you mean supersparky, if I was to run two separate lights you would put 2 sets of wires going into the mains. I'm not suggesting running 1 kit onto another, surely each kit of 3 bulbs, can be put into the main ring curciut, it would mean 2 blue/brown in the outside sockets of the ring curciut, if I were to place 2 kits, can the main ring curciut not supply 6 lights?

17. supersparky

supersparky New Member

no thats not what i ment, the kits can take 3 lights and are designed to take 3 only, i have seen 3 or 4 added to some kits, dont do this, and as for putting it on the socket circuit, you must have a 3 amp fuse fitted

BR

18. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

No supersparky I said ring curcuit for the lights not the sockets curcuits the 15 amp not the 30 amp, I give up I'll put them up as I intending and if it blows it blows

19. supersparky

supersparky New Member

the lights are not a ring type circuit, they are radial. also 15amp for lights! do you mean 6amp or 10amp at most? 15amps is very high for lights

BR

20. kat'llsortit

kat'llsortit New Member

sorry type o I meant 5amp, even so straight answer plz if I was to connect 2 kits of 3 lamps each to the lighting curcuit (house) in the same outermost connectors in the junction box of the lights would it be safe, the same connections you would use for a standard light bulb connection, only in my case as there are 2 kits 2 sets of brown/blue rather than the one. plz give me a straight answer its holding up the refurbishment

Kat