Low water flow in victorian house converted into flats

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KevinS, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. KevinS

    KevinS New Member

    I have a water flow problem in a Victorian 3 storey house converted into 3 flats. The property was converted 40 years ago and only has a single, old water service pipe entering the building.
    My question is can the flow be improved by increasing the pipe size as it’s currently all 15mm, or is it restricted by the size of the single incoming service pipe.
    Currently the water pipe enters the front of the property in the basement via an old lead pipe (I think), then it’s 15mm copper to the kitchen at the back of the property (9m) feeding a combi, bathroom (no bath, electric shower) on the way.
    Then from the back of the property the pipe goes up into the ground floor flat and then Tee’s of to feed the kitchen, bathroom (no bath, electric shower).
    The pipe then continues up to the first floor flat to feed a bathroom with a bath and electric shower and kitchen.
    If a 2 22mm pipes were run from the incoming 15mm pipe at the front of the house before any draw off points and these pipes were run to feed the 2 flats above, could this help the problem?
    The eventual solution is to have 3 separate water service pipes brought into the house, but I also need to update the gas and electricity so would like to do this all at once when the property is not fully let.
    I think the pressure is at least 2-3 bar at ground floor.
    Any help would be much appreciated
  2. Fada Mach

    Fada Mach New Member

    Kevin, I suspect replacing the supply pipes to the other two flats using 22mm pipe fed from the original 15mm pipe will make no noticeable difference.

    However, once new outside mains supplies are provided to each flat, then I would personally run each internal one in 22mm to each flat; once inside each flat, use a 22mm stopcock and then tee off to two 15mm pipes - one for t'cold and one for t'hot (assuming combi boilers are still being used.)

    So, I guess no real harm in seeing what marginal improvement you might get from doing the 22mm runs to the flats now just to see - but don't expect it to be a 'solution'.

    2-3 bar at ground floor is about ok - for the ground floor. I think you'll find this will fall off rapidly as you ascend.

    As you suspect, the only real solution, afaik, is new mains supply to each. Do you know where the main outside stopcock is fitted? If you replace the lead up to there, then the water board are obliged to replace any lead from there to the main supply in t'road.
  3. KevinS

    KevinS New Member

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Yes, looks like the only option will be to have new main supplies brought to the house and new 22mm runs as you have suggested.

    Not sure of the state of the supply from the road. The whole road had a new main put in and new supplies to each house, but mine was missed out as next door had 2 meters and I had none, so they had to re-dig up the road and re-connect mine, but I cannot see any stopcock.
  4. Fada Mach

    Fada Mach New Member

    There should be a stopcock just outside your border (usually) which shuts off the water to your building. Where does your neighb have their meter fitted? This is usually where the stopcock is - so you're should be in a similar position (on the pavement, for example. Contact your water board if you can't find it.
  5. HOTDOG ø

    HOTDOG ø Active Member

    I agree. You need new mains all the way in from the road.
  6. imran_

    imran_ New Member

    The stopcock will, er, be integrated into the meter :)
  7. KevinS

    KevinS New Member


    There is no water meter.

    Will speak to the water people about getting new mains and then get new feeds into the flats


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice