Low water level in toilet after flushing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIYDave, Jul 20, 2013.

1. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Hi all
    Downstairs loo been there for years with no problems
    Flush is fine and cistern fills back up quickly
    No changes to any plumbing, drains, nothing added or removed

Just started that when you flush, toilet bowl starts to refill then you can hear the water being sucked out of the bowl, leaving just an inch or so at the bottom

Would appreciate some advice on this one please
    Many thanks to you all and enjoy the weekend

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there's a blockage somewhere in your drain

do you have a manhole on your property ?

3. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

HI Sean and thanks for reply. Manhole in back garden and runs to next door property. Everything drains into this manhole, gutters, 3 toilets, bath, sink and washbasins . Will lift cover and take a look. Although 3 toilets empty into this manhole it's only ground floor loo affected
    thanks again

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

get a plunger on it

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd say the vent or dergo is blocked, thats what stops the water seal being sucked out, Do you know if you have a dergo?

6. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

HI Tom. Pretty sure no dergo valve is fitted , downstairs toilet was added about 7 years ago along with extra bedroom and en-suite. Downstairs loo, 1st floor ensuit (wash basin, toilet, shower ) all run into new manhole which then runs into existing manhole . As I say, since this building work there has been no further changes to any plumbing. Think I will lift both manhole covers tomorrow and take a look. Always a nice job before ur lunch . Thanks for the advice so far

7. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Hi all and thanks for advice - sorry not had time to update

Purchased a set of drain rods and after feeding 9 metres into the manhole I hit the blockage which was then easily shifted, drains then emptied immediately

Thanks again and for under £20 for drain rods, a good investment I reckon