Luceco Downlight Issue (Delay Turn On 5 Seconds +)

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Rpeveritt, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me. I did try Luceco however they've advised there about 2 days behind on customer support right now.

I purchased 14 x https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-ftype-fixed-fire-rated-led-downlight-white-600lm-6w-220-240v/7046t from Screwfix last week. Installed them at the weekend and I seem to have a problem with 3 of the lights.

For some reason two of the lights have a massive delay after the switch is turned on (standard on/off) and one of them flickering but at 10% brightness, like the LED is failing or not getting enough power....

I've checked the wiring and all seems OK, I've moved the LED to another power source and the issue seems to follow with it which would mean its the unit, but I mean 3 dead out of 14... Seems rather high.

Heres a video :

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

2. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Update: this morning I went into the room and turned the lights on and 2 different ones are now doing the dim cob, then 4 seconds later turning on full power.

HELP! :(

3. Get rid of them and get gu10 fittings, in my opinion integrated fittings are always a bad idea.
    Even if they were fine now, what happens in the future when one goes and they have discontinued them.
    Change them now for gu10 and you only need to change the lamp if it goes, not the fitting.
    Have a look at aurora fittings.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I wonder if these integrated fittings have 'soft start' built into them ? Its a 'feature' that's supposed to increase lamp life by gradually feeding in the juice in millisecond stages instead of hitting them with 240v from the start

I've not got these lamps, like above, the life expectancy and future replacement would bother me. Companies either go bust, get bought out and/or cant seem to resist making cosmetic changes to their products over the years, often for no apparent reason or technical advance

I've got several Varilight Pro dimmer switches at home and these have the 'soft start' built into them. Not a problem as in the lounge they switch 2 x6 arm lights so all lamps come on at same time, although yes, there is a slight delay and brightness increases in 3 stages - does take a little getting used to at first

In your case, its ok if 'soft start' is built into these fittings but you would expect all fittings to be synched so any delay and/or step up is the same throughout, regardless of number of fittings

Chase up these issues with the company as maybe a faulty batch
    If you do keep them, at least they have a 5 year guarantee but check the fine print - they may require registering to be covered over the bog standard 1 year

Good luck