LVT floor in bathroom

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Garak112, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Garak112

Garak112 Member

I'm making a start on decorating our new bathroom next weekend, at the moment the room is bare plaster with an 18mm plywood floor.

My wife has settled on a Karndean LVT floor which I was happy to go along with as it comes in loose lay and I've fitted one of their loose lay products downstairs already.

Now thinking through the work I'm not sure loose lay will work unless I've missed something.

The plan was the fit the flooring under the wall tiles but if I do that with loose lay I can't seal the tiles on to the floor because then theres no expansion gap. If I don't seal then there's a risk that water will get through the joints into the walls/floors.

Is there a way to do this with loose lay without fitting architrave strips or do I need to bite the bullet and get the glue down?

Thanks

2. Ours was laid after the tiling. It is then sealed to the wall tiles with clear sealant.

3. Garak112

Garak112 Member

When I laid the karndean loose lay downstairs I sealed it to the cloaking strip that runs along the bottom of our French doors. After a few months the floor in that area had buckled and raised because it couldn't expand. I cut the sealant out and it dropped back to level again.

Have you had any issues with the floor raising in your bathroom?

4. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Hi mate I've been out the flooring game for a while but I'm sure there's something about loose lay in bathroom

Why not get a pro in and go for fully stuck floor will be considerably lower as only need 6mm ply.