M class dust extractor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shytot, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Im after a M class dust extractor, the work I do at the moment ( 3 years with this firm) is private development. So , we have a mixture of 240v tools DW bench saw, & 110v tools ....
    If in the future I have to go back on site ,can you use 240v M class extractor ??
    Also what is everyone preferred make & size ?

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

all building sites are 110v or cordless try and get one with a power take off so tool when operates it turns on extractor

3. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

4. ginger tuffs

for £119 its worth a chance

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Nilfisk make some nice like vacs too. Wood dust is different to drywall sanding which requires something better. If you get a small vacuum consider making a cyclone to catch the the dust keeping the small bag clear and maximum suction. V tuf is a nice little vac so I hear. I own a large festool with auto clean but very often I use my smaller Screwfix Titan. It's much easier to transport

7. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Thanks for your replies. I’ve got a Titan at the moment , large one . I’ve been having loads of trouble with the on/off switch, had it apart numerous times .. Would love a Fein or Festool but out of my reach at the moment. Think I will take a punt in the new year with the V- Tuf

8. ginger tuffs

have a look at rutlands vac with take off £149

9. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Will do . What do you mean by “ take off “?
    Auto switch on/off ?
    Just been on Rutlands site , I’m with it now .. Looks decent , cheers

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

John Bunyan likes this.
  11. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Kiab, I used my new m class v tuff stack vac today and wasn't impressed. At one point I wished I'd paid another 100 for a Makita m class. It let dust out on my Makita ls0714 and on the Makita plunge saw even when I taped over hole on side. I think I'll send it back and poss get a Makita l class. What do you suggest?

12. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Class M and Class L are probably the most widely misunderstood aspect of the whole dust extraction business. If you put the same HEPA filter (99.9% at 2 microns) into a dust extractor - both classes of machine become identical - same suction, same filtration, same particle size capacity, same everything. The only difference between the two classes are that M-class machines must have an audible alarm to tell you when either the bag is full, or the filter's blocked. This information was given to me by the Festool rep at a show, when I asked for his advice whether I needed a CTL26 or a CTM26. He told me to save the extra money unless I was doing site work - which I'm not. As the industry leaders in extraction, I figured that he knew what he was talking about.

Something else which isn't often mentioned (but it should be) is that the quality of dust extraction is only ever as good as the tool will allow. Most of the Festool, Mirka and Mafell machines operate virtually dust-free, because it's been designed-in to be that way from the outset. Other kit (like my DeWalt 780) is absolutely hopeless even with an extractor hooked up to it. Other brands vary by machine (my Makita LS0714 is below average, the 9403 belt sander and PJ7000 biscuit jointer are great). I put the saving towards Festool's cyclone separator, which has been a total game-changer for me. I could fill the 25-litre bag of my old Nilfisk in 3 hours whilst doing concentrated bench joinery. The cyclone gets 95% of it before it ever reaches the bag. It's already paid for itself. Here's what it grabbed today;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Wayners and John Bunyan like this.
  13. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

I trust you know what your on about. Thanks. So, if price and room in van is an issue for me, would it be good enough if I got the Makita 2012 L class and a cyclone and bucket?

14. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

For sure. A cyclone device isn't strictly necessary - but it will save you an awful lot of money in bags if you're using an extractor all the time - plus it pre-separates a large amount of material from the airflow meaning your filters have a much easier life, because most of the dust is taken out before it even reaches the vacuum. These things really come into their own when you're doing jobs which generate a lot of waste material - planing and routing for example. Best plan is probably to go for the Makita if that's your preference, try it for a while on its own, and see how quickly you can fill bags and how much it's costing you to replace them. Generic copy ones are freely available on a well-known auction site for less money that genuine OEM ones, although I don't know how good they are. Worth a punt to compare though, I guess. Bear in mind though that for site use - your extractor has to say 'M-Class' on it - and also bear in mind that the extraction on pretty much any mitre saw will still be rubbish. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Hope you get fixed up.

John Bunyan likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Cyclone works great although I used bread box from car boot tomorrow make one for £2.Great for saw dust. Was sucking out gravel from post hole using cyclone last week. None went in vac

John Bunyan likes this.
  16. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

That's great. Read every word. If I buy a cyclone and bucket. Can you recommend one over another? The are some with different reviews on a week known site. My only dilemma is whether to send the m class v tuff stack back and get the Makita L class? Thanks

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Well I have a festool ctl 26 auto clean and a £70 titan but that's so noisy.

Problem with cheap vacs is the noise it too much.

If your doing drywall the fine dust is a big problem for clogging bags and filters and you need to slow the suction speed down a tad.
    With wood chippings and wood dust it's the volume of material thanks a problem so a cyclone sorts that and also the speed of power takeoff start and stop of vac as my titan is slower than festool.

Any cyclone will work but the rounded tops are the best like the dust deputy design but a few knockoffs available. I have a flat top one and stuff spins around the top getting stuck although that's rare which don't happen with round top one.

Also the container you make or buy needs to be self standing and strong enough but plenty available online

[​IMG]

Here is mine and it will clip on vac like a sustainer and box has feet (door stops) so will stand on floor.

Used waste pipe for fittings.

This was my bread box. Ha

Festool don't recommend using on there vacs but I do. I don't use now with rts or ets sanders unless high volume of dust. Cyclone is for large amounts of material really

John Bunyan likes this.