M6

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by astrolabe, Dec 14, 2005.

1. astrolabe

astrolabe New Member

What is the diameter of an M6 bolt ?

Where can one find this sort of info ?

2. BigHammer

BigHammer New Member

Would you believe 6mm?

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

4. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Well, actually it is.... okay okay, i wont start that again!

5. Londoner

Londoner Member

I've still got my copy of Zeus from apprenticeship days around 40 years ago (that dates me!). Think they were less than 10p (well less than 2 shillings) in those days but looks like now around £6.50, guess that's inflation for you! Over the years, it has though proved to be a very useful book.

6. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

two questions please on zeus

do they have sharpening angles in them and
    are they available from other than mail order

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If you mean what angle to grind a tool for screw cutting in the lathe then the answer is yes, 60 degrees for metric threads. If you mean angles for turning tools to suit different materials then no but let me know what you want to turn & I will let you know. Most industry now uses tools with replacable carbide tips now but if you are not cutting at their rates with heavy coolant then a brazed tip carbide tool will give a better finish in most cases.

Im sure if you look in yellow pages for local engineering supplies one of them will keep it, or you should be able to order one through a local book shop, of if you live near the site I posted a link to you could pop in there.

Jason

8. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Tembo, i picked my copy of Zeus up in waterstones bookshop. They had it in stock. if your local one hasnt, im sure theyd be glad to get it in for you. £5.00

9. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

Thanks

Do you have an ISBN for it please. I had checked the B'ham Waterstones but couldn't find it. I knew approx what it should look like but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Richard

10. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Cant find an isbn on it, have to ask by name for it.

11. toolmaker

toolmaker New Member

This may be of help to you -
    Zeus precision data charts and reference tables for drawing office, toolroom & workshop ISBN: B0000CLZUO,

I have seen these on an auction site begining with E for £4.50 if you are unable to get to a bookshop.

12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If thats the ISBN off Amazon then it was a 1963 edition so ISBN may be different if there is one at all.

Jason

13. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

14. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Looking at my newest Zeus book, metric revision 1972, I found the ISO metric threads and surprise surprise a 6mm thread is 6mm. Whatever next?

15. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Time to update, mines a '95 :)
    Things may have changed since '73 ;)