Mac Allister Folding Workstation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by ajohn, Apr 18, 2019.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I really do like some of the imagination and practicality of peoples homemade solutions. One guy made a fold out bench that uses the Festool tool trolley and systainers to make a very portable work bench. A couple of years on Festool sell one "remarkably" similar ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

look on pinerest for bench ideas

KIAB likes this.
  3. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Here's my idea of a worktable

ToughBuiltTable.jpg

107 x 60.5cm on a ToughBuilt saw horse. The workmate is fully open, 60x38cm.

The top is 18mm chipboard mounted on a corner pillar of 75x45 mounted on a strip of the same. Held to the saw horse with M10 coach bolts. As Amazon sell M8 star clamp knobs fairly cheaply I wish I had used M8. Dogs and unusual clamps will be added as needed using M8 and holes. I mostly seem to clamp things down on tables so any of the usual sort can be used. Height on the crazy paving looks to be the same as the workmate. About 80cm.

I added a 600mm stiffener down the centre as without it the chipboard bowed a little if I pressed down firmly in the centre. Doesn't now. It's all glued apart from the top. That's just retained with screws.

I gave it a coat of MDF sealer. ;) Might paint it as well and add corner protectors. Some cheap 90 degree angle brackets would do for that. :D Couldn't resist adding a handle.

Pushing and twisting the top - doesn't move, way better than the Mac Allister.

John
    -

ginger tuffs and KIAB like this.
  4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

the only problem with painting board it comes off onto work but looks good

5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

We have rather a lot of scrubable emulsion. It's used in hospitals etc and really is scrubable.

John
    -