Made hole too big for Tumble dryer vent!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AmboGuy, Jun 6, 2022.

1. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

Hello,

I’m not a builder and thought I’d give it a go myself to drill a hole through the wall for the new tumble dryer to vent outside.

I didn’t go too well and the drill just wasn’t getting through very well from the outside. I resorted to using a chisel for some of it but now I have a vent hole that’s a good 2 - 3cm too wide for a vent cover to fit into it.

it’s worth noting that this is in a garden outbuilding facing away from the house so it doesn’t have to look ‘pretty’ - I just want it to be watertight. the largest vent cover I’ve seen wouldn’t cover over the hole. I know I could silicone round little gaps but how would I physically drill into brick to attach the cover if there’s no brick in certain places (the top right corner is the worst where I tried chiselling and the brick cracked!)

Any ideas what I could do about it?

Attached Files:

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

If pretty isn't a concern you could fill it with expanding foam

AmboGuy likes this.
  3. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

Would I be able to drill the vent cover into expanding foam?

4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Get some 100mm plastic pipe, not drain pipe that's 110mm, slide into flex vent and fix with expanding foam, standard louvre vents slide into the plastic pipe.

AmboGuy likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simply fit a larger sized extractor grill fascia vent to cover it over.

MattKG89 and Johnik like this.
  6. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

I can’t find a vent cover large enough.
    The largest I can find is around 18cm but if need around 20cm.

7. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

But would I still need to attach the vent cover to the outside wall?

8. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

9. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plenty on ebay large sized hit and miss vents that you can open and close as required. Some are quite stylish so all may not be bad! :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You could easily fix this to a vent with nut and bolts or an adhesive.

12. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

Sorry don’t know what you mean.

Where could I get the separate part to attach to the vent from?

13. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

but do they need this bit at the back?

Attached Files:

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's not a hit and miss vent. The tube in the back is for connecting the tumble drier hose, you need to check the diameter size as they vary. That style would be weather tight from rain.

15. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Get some foam and fix the pipe in place using that. Then trim it at the front when it's cured, and fix the vent into the brickwork.

Edit: When you use the foam, chock the pipe in place so it won't move, with fragnments of brick or whatever as in the pic, then apply the foam.

AmboGuy likes this.
  16. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

17. AmboGuy

AmboGuy New Member

Just a thought - could I shove some ready made cement in the holes to plug the gaps and screw into that? As it’s a void though would I just push the cement into the void when I try and drill into it?

18. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Well why don't you get some sort of resin and use that. You can fix screws in it once it's cured. You could fill out the most of the hole with foam first.

19. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

cant see why you cannot use cement in the hole thats too large to make it small enough.Or otherwise knock a couple of the outside bricks out and replace and make the opening more the size you want,that way it would do what you want and you can make the new bricks the right size before cementing them in

20. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Could you not drill and fix a piece of timber into the underside of the brickwork (across the hole at the top of the pipe) then foam, then screw the proper vent cover into the wood at the top, bottom looks ok. Set it back slightly you might be able to still tidy /fill it with mortar to make it look better after the cover is on.

AmboGuy likes this.