Magna clean

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bright_Spark, Dec 26, 2017.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You're. ..not....going....to ...tell...us...they....installed....the....system....are.... you?

If so, that must have hurt?

If not so, what are you doing inviting them into your home?

Cut all ties with, BG (Carillion) they are the epitome of propagandists lies.
    You could liken them to the, EU I suppose.

Boom!

Ceasefire over.

KIAB and bright_Spark like this.
  2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

So, you could "powerflush" the system yourself, or get a "local" to do it and provide his "invoice".

bright_Spark likes this.
  3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I don’t think BG contracts are all that bad for some people.
    It’s ok if you know a gas or heating engineer that you can trust. But most don’t so will go with one of the more recognised companies.
    A high percentage of their engineers are clueless at fault finding on even the most basic of appliances.
    But they do have some experienced engineers who take the job seriously.
    Some are part time engineers part time salesman.

It could be a thinly veiled threat to get a powerflush or lose their contract with you.
    If the system seems to be working fit a mangaclean pro 2 and some chemicals and call their bluff.

At the end of the day you you know nothing about heating systems but they do. You pay good money for maintenance but they say something is wrong. Then expect hundreds to fix some unknown fault to you.

bright_Spark likes this.
  4. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

No it is just that I dont know much about boilers so we have it covered on a scheme, the boiler stopped working and it was a pump that was internal to the boiler, the part cost £300 allegedly, but they said it had failed due to sludge in the system and if anything gets into the boiler jacket it would destroy it and we would have to pay for a new boiler unless we get the powerflush done.

5. bright_Spark

I would rather do it myself as I hate paying someone if it is something that I can do myself, especially at that price

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Sludge will eventually ruin the insides of a boiler aswell as the rads.
    But the whole point of a maintenance contract is to prevent this.
    Proper maintenance should prevent issues like sludge in my opinion.
    They barely even service boilers these days it’s more like a basic safety check.
    Shame on them.

longboat likes this.
  7. bright_Spark

If I buy a magna clean tomorrow do I need to bleed my boiler down to fit it on a combi in my garage? or just my radiators?

8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Depends on system layout and house type.
    Is it one level or two.
    Do Heating pipes from boiler go through ceiling or floor.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  9. Pollowick

The whole system - but as you are confident, take one radiator off and see how much muck comes out when you run water through. If lots, do all rads, it will make the job of the cleaning chemicals and MagnaClean a lot easier.

10. bright_Spark

downstairs only, I live in a bungalow and all pipes run through garage under the floor

11. bright_Spark

Will I have to take them all off again after the chemical has been added

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

That’s makes thing a bit easier then.
    You want to fit the mangaclean on the return pipe as close to the boiler as possible, but give a foot clearance above the magnaclean for servicing.
    The pressure needs to be removed from the system. This can be done usually via a built in drain point on the boiler. (Depending on manufacturer)
    If any other drain points are accessible then a full drain down would be preferable.
    If not the majority of a system can be drained through one radiator.(removed)
    How old is the system/boiler?

13. bright_Spark

I think about 5 years old, it is a basic sime boiler, there is a gate valve on the return pipe, I think it is the return, there are 2 x 22mm pipes that come from the boiler and run under my floor to the house so assuming they are the flow and return pipes

14. Pollowick

No, for that you will just open the drain valve and let it all run out, refill and drain a couple of times and then refill, add inhibitor and run as usual. Just remember that when you open the Magnaclean to clean it, there will be a little pressure within so a bowl underneath is essential.

bright_Spark likes this.
  15. bright_Spark

Thanks for all of this info, I am chuffed to bits I havent had to pay out £800, I was feeling sick when they told me

16. bright_Spark

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only 5 years old system, all you need is a Magna Clean Pro 2, & X800, should see results within a few hours once fitted, how long you leave cleaner in all depend on the state of the filter when removed to clean, can leave in a few weeks to work it's magic,will need to drain system to fit filter, it goes on the CH return pipe.
    After a few weeks drain down & throughly flush system, refill add Sentinel X100 inhibitor, & I also add Sentinel X900 Filter Aid.

Benefit of X800 is it only takes hours, it can be left in for extended periods without harm, whereas X400 takes weeks, & bleed system cold.

https://www.adey.com/product/magnaclean-professional2

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...systems/sentinel-x800-jetflo-ultimate-cleaner

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...tral-heating-systems/sentinel-x900-filter-aid

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Mike83 and bright_Spark like this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. bright_Spark

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What KIAB says. I fitted a magnaclean and x800 left it in for weeks. Then drained down, flushed well with mains water and filled up with x100 and x900. Inspect and clean the magnaclean regularly when x800 is in. I put some photos in a thread a while back.