Maia worktops, alternatives and fitting

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by biasqinc, Sep 15, 2008.

1. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I have a customer who wants me to supply and fit Maia worktops. The mason mitres are no problem. I've read and digested the Maia instructions on their site and decided to invest in a random orbit sander. I will be looking at something like Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, or Festool (if my budget allows). Any thoughts on a good sander?

Also, can anybody recommend a good alternative to Maia. Their reputation is already tarnished in my view as MFI supply them!

I will be hoping to get hold of some offcuts locally and having a good practice in my workshop before I attempt the fit. What should I charge for a straight butt joint, a mason mitre and a sink and hob cutout?

2. huggy bear

huggy bear New Member

Hi there i bought the metabo sxe 450 just as good as dewalt,makita and all the other ones,no problems,Also fitted a Maia worktop it should come with the box of fittings,sandpaper,resin,etc,should be allright.

3. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello. if your looking for an alternative i'd look at minerelle. http://www.minerelle.com/

they do a free fitting course which i would definately recommend and to be honest i'd be very wary of fitting them unless you do the course. expensive to mess up.
    price wise your looking at around £400 a 4m worktop.
    principles very similar to fitting maia except has minerelle has a 6mm surface as opposed to maia 3mm you dont need to fit a tongue in the mitre, just biscuits.

also smartstone do a solid surface too. http://www.artis.co.uk/

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

biasginc
    Make sure you let your client know that solid surface scratches very easily, although its also easily repaired.
    PS my preference would be GETACORE from westag getalig :)