Mains cables behind skirting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jimjamjak, Nov 22, 2022.

1. jimjamjak

jimjamjak New Member

I've got a pretty typical stone-built Victorian terraced house.

I got the place rewired - new consumer unit, tested etc. The electrician ran the cables for the kitchen sockets and oven etc. across the solid floor of a back room through a wall into the kitchen at the back of the house.

He left these cables exposed while the renovation was completed and recommended tucking them behind rebated skirting. I duly ordered rebated skirting (from a reputably online company) which I'm now fitting.

I came across a couple of threads suggesting that putting a run of cable behind the bottom of skirting board in this way might not be okay. I would guess the danger is someone eventually drilling into it etc.

Is it dangerous/a bad idea? I'm not sure that there is a good alternative. Any thoughts?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Cables are only allowed in permitted zones (which you might want to google) so unless your spark put the sockets on the skirting boards the cables are unlikely to be in the right place and therefore non-compliant with the regs. Any cables outside the permitted zones need to have the correct level of protection, something like steel conduit, which also needs to be earthed, or embeded >50mm from the walls surface, either side of. Sounds like your spark doesn't have a clue. Was he registered? Did he give you any certification? Can you get some pics up?

3. jimjamjak

jimjamjak New Member

Thanks very much, Coloumb. I really appreciate the quick reply.

I was looking at permitted zones in relation to getting electrics fitted in my garage--it was the zoning that got me concerned. As far as electrics go, I'm completely ignorant, hence wanting to get some advice.

The electrician is registered, yes. I wonder if he just assumed that I'd know to put them inside steel conduit (which would be a bit odd, since it will be a pain to do this after everything was already connected up to the CU, including run under floorboards etc).

I'll get back to the electrician and see what he says. It might be just that we miscommunicated. Depending on how that conversation goes, I see now that might either have to install into conduit along the front of skirting (I don't think it will fit with conduit behind), or chase out along the wall in line with the one socket on that wall (which is not fed by this cable).

Conduit in front of the skirting will look pretty crummy, but I'm keen to avoid chasing out as it is rendered in very friable old lime plaster, which will probably fail in the process. I realise that a plasterer would say to just re-render/plaster over the top etc., but I'm at the end of my budget on this.

I'm also surprised (naive?) that firms can sell skirting that has this kind of feature (routed channels at the base of skirting) if it's not in line with electrics regulations. Seems pretty stupid to arm consumers like me with the possibility of doing things wrong.

4. prisoner

prisoner New Member

The position of sockets is part of the zone definition, so if you had sockets in skirting it would comply. Personally, I would fix a couple of dummy sockets to the skirting along the cable route, perhaps put a note inside saying "cable to ???????? behind skirting", and cables behind the skirting need RCD protection

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So long as the cable is run on the "surface" of the skirting then that's fine as it's no different to surface mounting the cable, all be it inside some conduit. You are not allowed to run the cable behind the skirting as no one would expect it to be there of they bang in more nails etc. I wouldn't just clip the cable to the conduit either without some kind of protection.

jimjamjak likes this.
  6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

You can get skirting trunking in steel and PVC specifically for this purpose. Then anyone would not be surprised by the cables in the skirting trunking and all would comply, except that you did it and you have no certification. The Electrician should have done this as part of the job.

jimjamjak likes this.
  7. jimjamjak

jimjamjak New Member

Sure. Understood. Many thanks again.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Don't put false sockets on the skirling. They will get smashed to bits and/or someone will remove them as soon as they realize they are not connected.

Ind spark likes this.
  9. jimjamjak

jimjamjak New Member

I agree.