Mains Pressure HW

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MadDesigner, Mar 19, 2004.

1. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

I am getting our loft converted in the summer and will need to get the cold water tank moved for the HW supply. The boiler is a sealed system so that's not a problem. If we leave the tank in the loft it will still be a bit of an obstruction even if it is relocated so I was thinking of the mains pressure tank.

Anyone had any experience of these? Good or Bad? What's the likely cost of this system? Is it fairly straight forward to adapt existing system? Failing that I guess I could relocate the tank into the airing cupboard above the HW tank and boiler. Will not leave much room to air clothes though (wife is bound to moan!) What is the smallest header tank that I can still usefully use for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for replies.

2. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Change it for a combi. a good one. JMc

3. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

Sorry JMc, but I don't really like combis. My wife would complain at the filling the bath rate. Anyway our boiler is only a few years old and going very strongly (touch wood!).

Thanks anyway.

4. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

No prob but they are a lot better than you think. Its like getting used to an auto. We fit and change a lot to combis and no complaints when they get used to it. I get a nice hot bath every time. JMc

5. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

Uuurggg - AUTO's. Cannot stand them. My left foot gets twitchy when I drive them and is prone to stamping on the brake! I like my cars to be in my control - what's the point of having a 7,500 rpm rev limit if it won't let you use it? ;)

6. Mick90

Mick90 New Member

I have heard unvented (mains pressure) Hot Water is the dogs whatsits. If your central heating is a sealed system and you plump for unvented HW you wont need a header tank. Unvented has to be installed by qualified fitters though and I dont think it comes cheap...

7. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

You need to make sure your mains supply is sufficient to run an unvented system.

Get a couple of plumbers in to give you competitive quotes to install the cylinders and carry out the alterations.

For a good unvented conversion using a stainless steel cylinder expect to pay upwards of £1200 plus VAT

Mike

8. mj

mj Guest

If youv'e got the required mains presuure/flow rate, i would go for the pressurised cylinder.you'll get plenty of hot water & because it's pressurised you won't be restricted in the choice of taps/shower valves.
    Once fitted they only require minimal maintainence & usually have lengthy warranties.

9. bilco

bilco New Member

The only likely main alteration to your plumbing is the addition of a overflow/warning pipe to the outside from your airing cbd. if you go for unvented. They have been arround for some time now and give unsurpassed hot water supply...a good investment if you have the cash.

An alternative could be the heat store system which overcomes the problem of dealing with expansion, where the hot water is heated via a coil inside a large cylinder/tank. That in turn is heated via a coil connected to your boiler