Mains Smoke Setectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seavigil, Feb 17, 2004.

1. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Anyone fitted the Kiddie mains powered smoke detectors, I'm finding the wiring space inside a bit tight when there's Triple+E looping through and your face is pressed up against the ceiling trying not to loose the wires back up the hole.

The manual suggests using a cavity wall box but the screw holes don't line up too good and I loose the option to get a screw into a joist.

Cheers
    DJW

2. nigel

nigel Guest

Use a connector block to reduce number of wires and extend then push into ceiling void?

3. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Use a connector block to reduce number of wires and extend then push into ceiling void?

Would this comply with the regs as the individual wires would not be sheathed or enclosed.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

spot on,my advice if your still having problems(and can do this) is if its not Right on a joist or you can move it to were the isnt one, is to put a plasterbored patress box behind for the connections
    or if its on a joist and you cant move then bolt on wood about a meter long either side of the joist and then cut back enough into the joist enough to allow a besa box(that will be fun to do!!!)

ss

5. holly

holly New Member

i use round dry line box (screwfix 12442)

6. RES

RES New Member

What are those round boxes for? I've often wondered.

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

anything u want

8. RES

RES New Member

Okay. But why round?

9. supersparky

supersparky New Member

well, it would look strange with the corners if you had to mount a fancy light base on it wouldent it! or a ceiling pullswitch....
    same as a besa box...just flush...

ss

10. MICC

MICC Member

Why not?
    I have been using aico mains smoke detectors and they have loads of room to connect, very easy to fit but a bit pricey.
    Fitting a dry lining box, if you can, is a good idea though.