Major lining paper problems...please help!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by IanHarris, Mar 26, 2020.

1. IanHarris

IanHarris New Member

Evening,

My wife and I recently bought our house and as it had a lot of imperfections and holes, we decided to line the walls before painting. So far, we have had problems with bubbling, the edges lifting and overall, not looking great.
    We filled and sanded the holes first then used a 1200 grade lining paper along with paste the paper. We pasted then left for 5 minutes to soak. It has still come up at the edges and bubbled. Having painted over the top, it still looks rubbish.
    We would really appreciate any advice as we’re really stuck why it’s not working.
    I have uploaded photos for you to see what I mean. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Personally i would never line the walls and then paint on the lining paper. I know people do that but for me its a big no no.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you size the wall the day before.
    Paste mixed to thin.
    5 minutes is not long enough to soak 1200 grade should be more like 10 - 15 minutes.
    Paper edges lack paste.
    What had been on the wall prior to hanging the lining paper?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good job it's only a personal opinion then. :D;)

5. IanHarris

IanHarris New Member

What can I do for it now? Do I have to start from the beginning? Can I just do the edges? If so, how would you recommend I do it?

6. IanHarris

IanHarris New Member

09AFB390-BB01-4922-B248-324EA8E1B465.jpeg
    And why can I see the lines? Is that a problem from hanging?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You haven't answered any of my questions.

8. IanHarris

IanHarris New Member

So sorry, baby brain (been up with my newborn since 6am screaming)!
    I don’t know what you mean by size the wall. We measured the room and cut the pieces to the size needed. It had satin paint on it before in one room and matt paint in the other room. We used a solvite wallpaper adhesive where we used 7 litres to one pack (suitable for up to 10 rolls) and mixed for 20 seconds then left for 90 seconds before using. We then pasted the paper and left for 5 minutes before hanging straight on. We left it for a few days then applied matt paint.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sizing the wall is to apply a thin coat of paste to the wall the day before and left overnight to fully dry therefore aiding wallpaper slip and better adhesion for the paper. As mentioned 5 minutes is not really long enough for soaking 1200 grade.
    Did you sand and wash the walls prior to hanging paper.
    The lines are the paste residue, Never use Solvite for that reason preferring to use LAP paste myself.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Says the chimp

11. IanHarris

IanHarris New Member

I never knew to size the wall first so that’s a great tip thank you. And I sanded parts of the walls were there were dents, etc but not all of it and I didn’t clean them either (I watched a YouTube video by B&Q to see how to do it and it never mentioned what your telling me which it probably should have included!). I will try LAP paste from now on.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget watching B&Q videos and look at the ones posted by professional tradesmen as you will learn a lot more.
    You can hopefully save what you have done so far by purchasing a small tub of ready mixed wallpaper paste or border and overlap adhesive to stick down the seams.....this is what you do:
    Buy a Coral wallpaper smoother.
    Gently ease back the loose seams, dampen them with water and leave for a couple of minutes then paste the seam and wall with the paste, leave for 5 minutes to soak. With the coral tool smooth the paper back into position then wipe over the seam with a damp sponge to remove the excess adhesive leaving it dry and the job should be a goodun.;)

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Please enlighten as to why not?

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My avatar is an indication of my trade what does yours say about you apart from you are a short sighted mutt.

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Your pic is missing the Stetson ;)

16. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Pretty much what Astra has said

I’m afraid it’s down to poor preparation.
    The walls should’ve have been sized prior to application of lining paper.

1200g lining paper requires a minimum booking time of 7-10 minutes before hanging.

17. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

If I were you I would start again!

Even if you just stick the edges, as soon as you apply paint it will bubble up.

you could be potentially wasting time and money on paint only to start again.

Astramax likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. :(

CGN likes this.