Making a gate!! Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gajonesy3, Aug 29, 2007.

1. gajonesy3

gajonesy3 New Member

Im not DIY minded at all, but i need to make a gate because the one i've got is pretty flimsy and my collie/kangaroo dog is trying to use the existing gate as a springboard. The existing gate is fixed to a post which is fastened to the shed and the catch is on a post which is fixed to the wall of the house. I have no idea what wood to use or where to begin making it!
    Can anyone help me please?

Gareth :)

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

If you haven't got a clue then you probably don't have the tools or materials to do it.

Go to B&Q or Wickes with the measurements and check out their pre-made gates.

Or if you're gonna have a go check out how their gates are made, buy some timber and have a go. Maybe take a digital camera and take some photos for reference.

Cheap jigsaw, decent claw hammer and some nails or screws which ever you prefer and a coouple of decnet hinges.

Not a bad first project though.

Bear in mind that the big DIY chains timber isn't as good as it should be so leave any wood you buy to acclimatise before you use it. Also pre made gates stored inside the shop will swell in the winter and shrink back in the summer.

If you're on a budget, skips are a great source of timber.

Old pine floorboards and a couple of coats of SADOLIN should last years.

Good luck

3. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

you say you aint DIY minded..building a gate aint that easy mainly coz of complexity of joining it together

you need to get someone that's experenced in joinery to make one for you

4. Trog

Trog New Member

No you don't Mr scaremonger. You can soon knock one up with some feather edge boarding, top, middle and bottom rail a couple of diagonal braces and you've got a gate. Ok so its not a prestige job but it's more than adequate to keep a kangadog in check. Just make sure that the T hinges are 2/3rds the width of the gate and this will help the thing from dropping out of square. Job done but don't expect it to last for ever.

5. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

'Trog' p-o

6. Trog

Trog New Member

now, now, no need to get all tough

7. Trog

Trog New Member

The guy isn't diy minded so I'm offering an easy way out so he doesn't get all freaked out with haunch mortice and tenons and all the technical joinery stuff. Jeez don't get so serious all the time.

8. foxy

foxy New Member

I agree a decent gate isn't quite as easy as it seems so a pre made one might be a sensible option. The gate may be better hung from the post on the wall and closing on the shed post if that is practical.

Haunched tenons on a gate!! That's a cut above the ones I've made. :)

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm an engineer & I made a gate. What's a Haunched Tenon *** ?:O

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's where you put a haunch on the tenon to strengthen the mortice, very common.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the OP made a gate I would suggest a lap joint though.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oh, also, Ion is a troll.

13. malkie129

Thanks chippie,still as clear as mud,although I do understand a lap joint.....Must agree with your assessment of Ion though :^O

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On a haunched tenon the tenon is cut away so it is a "h" shape to leave more meat in the mortice. It's usually used on a corner joint.
    www.diydata.com/.../mandt/mortise_tenon.php

15. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

The haunch in the tenon also helps prevent your rails from twisting....
    Nought more annoying than twisted rails.....
    Well....maybe I can think of a few things.......most of the remaining Big Brother contestants for starters.....

16. malkie129

Thanks Chippie...Much clearer

17. Notme!

Notme! New Member

Try a local fence panel supplier?

By all means have a go yourself -it's a nice little project which is quite straight forward and guarentees self-satistaction, but for what you'll pay buying the necessary timber at a DIY-shed...

Find a little local fence panel maker and ask him for a quote - he'll make it to any size you like, tannalise it if you want (soak it in wood preserver) and it'll still be a bargain.

Last one I ordered from my local bloke was roughly 5ft high by 3ft wide and cost about £50 finished...

18. Notme!

Notme! New Member

Oh, also, Ion is a very tedious troll...