Making a hole in a worktop slightly smaller

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by David MacBean, Jul 20, 2019.

1. David MacBean

David MacBean New Member

Hi I mistakenly gave the joiner the dimensions of the hob so it now drops thro the hole just. Any ideas about a quick fix for this?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

New worktop.:)

GoodwithWood likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Anything other than the above, ie, new worktop is gonna be a bodge - but you know this right :mad:

What kinda work top, expensive or regular composite/laminate type that’s kinder on the wallet

Is this part of a new kitchen instal, so replacement worktop would be easily available (if you went this route)

Could have a stainless steel frame made up by a metal fabricator, nice polished edges that sit on worktop whilst edges drop through cut out, packers to take up gaps between worktop cut out and inside edge of stainless, screwed and siliconed into worktop

But...... if it’s a cheapie worktop, likely that the stainless will cost you more than a 3m length of worktop

Few more details needed
    Good luck

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How much smaller...sizes please?

5. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Sounds like you gave the joiner the exact measurements of the hob and didn't reduce them so the hob could rest on the worksurface. If you wish to use this worksurface you could perhaps glue and screw a suitable piece if wood round the inside edge of the cut-out flush with the top of the worksurface, then use a neat bead of fire resistant silacone sealant to disguise any imperfections if this is necessary or indead allowed? You should also be able to rest the hob on a bead of silacone and maybe that will be enough to suffice?

6. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Buy a slightly bigger hob perhaps... Not sure how standardised the measurements are for the typical hob though...built in ovens are standard sizes...

Astramax likes this.
  7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

As above 10mm (ish) batten round cutout flush to top. Fit hob and silly round as required.

Would have thought anyone who fits hobs would question a size of 590 x 510 for the cutout? Or is it an unusual size?

Best of luck - sure it will be fine.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have no idea where I've got this from (or why I think it) but I thought it was against regulations to reduce a cut out for gas hobs. Happy to be corrected....

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also depends how neat a hole has been cut out ?

Fitter may have thought yep, that’s cut out size, I’ve got another 10-20mm for the hob to sit on, doesn’t need to be super accurate :eek:

Or holes in the corner for a jigsaw blade to drop through

As usual, a picture and some dimensions would be helpful

10. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Talking of tolerances, I fitted a Neff down draught extractor the other week. The instructions allowed a measly 3mm to play with along each long (900mm) edge. Good fun cutting that out on a 4ft wide worktop!!

11. Joey__

Joey__ Member

Get some milk crates under the worktop and sit the hob on top

mcooper2406 likes this.
  12. if you really want to bodge it how about a load of screws or pins/dowels around all 4 sides, so it rests on the pins?