Making a sliding door, oak or pine?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chris1004, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Hi all,

I need to make a large sliding door 2600 height and 860 width.

my question is shall I use air dried oak or pine for the main structure of the door?

my worry with oak is that it will crack over time.

many advice is appreciated as this is a first for me!
    Many thanks

2. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

Oak should be stable enough, this will depend on the size of the styles, head, base rail, mid-rail, muntins etc. is the door panel?
    The thickness of the main sections is what will control it, How big is the cavity for the sliding door? Ideally, ex 45mm styles would be best for this size door in Oak.
    You may have to select a few nice pieces without any shakes in.
    Euro Oak has a nicer grain, American red or white is less prone to splitting or shakes.

3. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

My local supplier sell par oak 50mm thick and 170 wide so il use those and trim them to something like 120mm wide for the rails and styles. customer wants it like a " barn door " or a " panel door " so if its paneled i was just going to route a groove in the middle of the oak and insert MRMDF or something then use picture rails to decorate? like I said this is a first for me. the cavity will be around 900mm wide and the opening will also be around 900mm although there is room to play with. There is a local timber merchant here that sells American white oak, I was thinking of using that. https://harlowbros.co.uk/timber/products/softwood-and-hardwoods/hardwoods/

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Have a look at Accoya - if you're machining it up yourself, accoya is much like most softwoods - very easy to machine. Oak of course is hard as **** and can be a PITA. Downsides of Accoya - it doesn't look very nice but will take a dense stain or paint well, it is a bit brittle to work with so always need spelch blocks and make sure you don't drop it ion a corner or it might crack off, needs PU glue - PVA doesn't work. Upsides are it is totally stable, waterproof, easy to work with.

If you are making many doors, a Domino 700 is a good investment...

Here's some I made recently in Accoya

Attached Files:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

That door looks awesome, good job mate. Where do you get your Accoya from? I've had a quick google search and cant seem to find any merchants around here? ( Derbyshire ) also what did you use for the panel part? plywood?

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I bought a good amount a while back from James Latham in Leeds (they do have other branches) for a project and the doors were from the last of it. I'm not sure if they do small quantities, but they are a stockist. These doors are 56mm thick. The panels are 38mm accoya planks dominoed together and then raised on a router table with a big cutter.

The panels illustrate why it isn't very pretty - you can clearly see the staining from the treatment it goes through.

7. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

@Mr.Rusty. nice doors. I enjoyed looking at some windows you did some time
    ago out of accoya.