Making good a cavity wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lizzy Radcliffe, May 14, 2021.

1. Lizzy Radcliffe

Lizzy Radcliffe New Member

This is the first time I've asked a question although I've read many threads before. I'm planning to install French doors into the gable end of my bedroom. Building control will pass the lintel and opening and planning has been applied for as I want clear glass. I want to create a tiny balcony by having the French doors set on the inner rather than outer skin. Please can someone kindly advise how the exposed cavity between the two skins should be dealt with.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's a bit of an odd one as your main requirement is not a standard detail, however you've mentioned two different finishes, one being set back to the internal skin showing the cavity and external skin, and the other 100mm/10cm from the external face so the frame would be sitting in the cavity. The frame sitting in the cavity is the correct way to go about it as it will eliminate damp issues and cold bridging, you would fix the frame with straps to the internal blockwork skin. Having the cavity area exposed or in view is asking for trouble, however you may be able to get away with a vertical DPC and the brickwork returned and tied in, then rendered over. Ask your building inspector.

3. Lizzy Radcliffe

Lizzy Radcliffe New Member

Thanks so much. The building inspector has been great so far in answering my questions. It sounds as though it's not the most sensible of things to do, so I'll also ask planning if I can have a 300mm balcony.

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

As a rule planners don't like balconies so I wouldn't hold my breath.