Making sash windows?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rich6757, Feb 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Or Joggles to give them their correct name.

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

or joggles to give them their alternative name. Like noggins and dwangs. Depends where you're from........

Jord86 likes this.
  3. rich6757

rich6757 Member

Ha! I did wonder if joggles were small horns at the top of the bottom sash, but joggle and horn seem to be interchangable.

Is there a difference between muntins and glazing bars?

And is a mullion only a stone or brick section between two sash windows or if you have a triple sash with wooden outer linings on the sash boxes, would these br mullions too?

Back to Accoya, glue and no screws. You are right, the stability of Accoya means the joint is under less stress due to less movement with changes in humidity and temperature.

Would you consider a south facing window painted black, the worst possible combination for temperature stress?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

go put your hand on a black car at the height of summer, and you know the answer.......

5. rich6757

rich6757 Member

Ha! Yes.
    As you can see we have black frames and white sashes!
    20190209_165529 (Medium)2.jpg 20190209_165553 (Medium)2.jpg

6. rich6757

rich6757 Member

Here's another question for you. Interteral or external beading? It seems sensible to have beads on the inside, but our orangery was done with external beads and of course trad glazing has the putty on the outside too...

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The design that influenced my design had internal beading and dry glazing, so I did the same. Used reddiseal dry glazing clips. https://www.reddiseals.com/product/easyclip-base-unit-and-clip/ and this https://www.reddiseals.com/product/flexible-epdm-tape-with-lip/ as the external seal. Note that this is thinner than the plain seal the glazing clips are designed for (but I liked the lip), so the 24mm clips are a little too wide for a 24mm DGU used with this narrower seal. I used 20mm clips spaced off the frame with 6 of my business cards which worked perfectly. This seal so far has proved AOK and the lip looks really tidy from the outside. I applied just a little silicon around the bottom corners, just to make sure the joint in the tape was sealed.

9. rich6757

rich6757 Member

Not sure about using any plated steel anywhere near Accoya... Even the easy clip datasheet says to avoid it!?

Justfor interest, this is what Accoya does, if its not sealed to a galvanised lock in 5 months!

lockbox.jpg

So the corners of the seals are mitre cut. I did wonder if that may allow a route in for water.

Did you put a drain hole in the bottoms of the sashes?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hi Yes, added drain holes.

I painted out the rebates before using the clips. Corrosion is a risk I am keeping an eye on. My internal cover beads are only lightly pinned. If the clips ever did show degredation it would be a fairly easy remedial fix - we'll see.