Makita DHP486 combi drill issues

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by cr0, Jul 11, 2022.

1. cr0

cr0 New Member

Hello all,

Bought myself a new Makita DHP486 combi drill however I think it maybe faulty but I thought I'd run it by you folks, I'm sure some of you must own the same, to make sure what I'm experiencing are indeed faults not 'features' !

When I run the drill in low speed then switch from low speed to high speed and then operate the trigger the drill still operates in low speed mode until I let go and operate the trigger again, I have found by chance that it doesn't happen on fairly depleted batteries only on pretty fully charged ones - bizarre.

The selector ring is selectively jamming when trying to switch back from driving to either rotary or hammer drilling in that it just won’t rotate fully back until I let go then operate the trigger or rock the chuck then try again to rotate the selector ring - this issue seems to be improving through use but I'm not happy it's having to be run in so to speak.

Hope any Makita DHP486 owners could comment if this is normal or not, I mean something like this I expect to work without idiosyncrasies.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

No, that’s correct. The gear and speed selectors should not perform like this and sounds like you need to return it for a replacement.

3. cr0

cr0 New Member

Have got on to the supplier and they are going to do a swap out soon so hopefully the next one will be OK.

Hausfix likes this.