Makita Laminate Trimmer hinge jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Steve.., Jun 20, 2019.

1. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to try using my laminate trimmer to cut hinge recesses without making my own jigs which I have in the past.

Various jigs out there but I was looking at one that you use a 16mm guide bush but the plate diameter is to big for base plate.

Anyone for a solution for this I looked at one way using the trend universal sub base :

And attach it through the current holes on the makita 3703 trimmer but its 170mm wide so quite big I suppose I could cut it back but ideally a 16mm bush that fits would be great but I have not found one yet.

Another option is a router bit profiler and find one with a bearing that suits the jig!

Thanks in advance :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trend base PIA!

I use a Makita RT0700CX2, no need for a sub base, used with an adaptor to take the threaded guide bushes,better than using Makita bushes.
    Use the compact jig below, can be found on Ebay.

http://www.routingjigs.co.uk/product/compact-hinge-jig-polycarbonate/

The adaptor for the threaded bushes was superbly made by Ken Longley,3d.qualityproducts,Callington,cost me £12:95p.
    Can make adaptors for all routers.

Email: ken@klongley.co.uk

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Steve.. likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Steve.. likes this.
  4. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can get adaptor from Amazon in my earlier reply,the adaptor will allow you use all threaded bushes,regardless of make.

Adaptor will fit most Makita routers,but do check adaptor will fit makita 3703 trimmer base, as it's one I'm not familar with .

I also use Katsu router with hinge jig, which is a Makita RT0700 clone.

6. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

Cheers I have had a look and the cut out on the 3703 is more like 37mm and the adapter is 35mm it might still work if I get a router line through adapter to set it central to the spindle.

Thanks for you help I can't wait to use it the compact trim routes are so much user friendly!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nice thing with RT0700 or Katsu you can use them on a hinge jig & many other jigs with out the need of a additional sub base.

Edit: Just had a quick read up on your router,think threaded adaptor bush will fit yours,as Makita bushes fit 3703,3707, 3708, RT0700C routers,so same size.:)

Steve.. likes this.
  8. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

KIAB,

Any reason why you recommend the Compact Hinge Jig HPL are they any good?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Found it superb.

Did look at various compact hinge jigs,didn't like the UJK as clamp plate made things awkward in my view, Unika only did two sizes of hinge.
    Whereas compact jig will cope with hinges from 50mm to 127mm long and 6.5mm to 35mm wide.:)

10. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never had any problems with any jigs from DTS, never used that one,as I have Souber jig & also a Jigtech which I particularly like.

12. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That plunge base won't fit your Makita 3703 trimmer.

I said in my earlier replys do check dimensions, as I wasn't familar with your 3703.

Makita have a 18v trimmer, the DRT50ZJ.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

I think the screw in bushes I have ordered will fit straight into the base will find out tomorrow !

15. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

Yep the screw in bushes fit directly into the 37mm cut out of base and the brass screw in adapter holds it tight have done a test and it seems ok :)

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's good, looking at your router, I can see why you thought Katsu base might fit.

I'm intrested in the internal diameter of the Katsu base now.o_O

I'll be back.:)

Internal diameter of Katsu base where power unit goes is 65mm.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  17. Steve..

Steve.. New Member

Hi KIAB,

I quite like this hpl jig but dont like the idea of putting bradawl through hard wood doors have you ever modded yours so a clamp can be used?

I have been looking at this one which is identical to this on sister company website which claims in the .pdf you can transfer the 3 hinges jigs off the door to the existing frame and clamp or bradawl it and cut recesses out!

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's the bradawl that's always put me off most jigs which is why I use a homemade one which will clamp sideways on to the door. It's reversible and adjustable for 3" or 4" and different widths but no good on linings or casings though. CBA to do anything about that lately. Note to self....

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Simple solution.:)

upload_2019-6-28_15-24-6.jpeg

Would the edge clamp would work,got some here, but I still haven't got around to trying them with jig which is 85mm wide.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-way-g-clamp-60mm/7960v

And I 've looked at various edge clamps,& the Bessey KT5, which is perfect for the job.

https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/be...MIpZfCorOM4wIVFvhRCh0VUQuQEAQYCyABEgL8CfD_BwE

Trying to find time to poke my nose in Yandles, just down road from me, & have a proper look at the KT5 clamps, as I reckon they will fit other flat bar cramps.

https://www.yandles.co.uk/bessey-kt5-1-edge-clamp-single-spindle/p4062

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Steve.. and WillyEckerslike like this.