makita plunge saw verdict!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cosworth, Nov 27, 2008.

1. cosworth

cosworth New Member

ok ive had 2 days with it and its not gone well. very unhappy so far.first i cut a worktop and it wasnt effortless at all.
    i had to put a fair bit of push into it, and there was burn marks over all over the cut.
    at first i thought it was because of no riving knife or that doing a full 40mm in one go was a bit too much for it. not happy as my 18v dewalt will cut easier. then i was doing 18mm chipboard and it was the same,burning and stiff. i havent overtightened it on the rail tho cos it glides with ease turned off.
    feeling a bit dissheartened i thought i'd just phone for a new blade when i get home from work.
    but it gets worse, i had to trim the full lenghth of a door(cheap 6 panel hollow) of about 8mm. by half way up the door it was so stiff to push i had to stop. took a look at the cut and it cut off to the right by about 3-4mm which was obviously bending the blade making it so hard to push.

that was final straw and i'd give up with it. called d&m and they said it never had that and it would have to go back to makita. but i need it for next wk so after much haggling their posting me a new one tomo after the old is picked up.
    just really hoping that it was a fault and not the fact its carp. so dissapointed. wish i'd bought the dewalt now.

STEVE THE FITTER as you have one i was hoping for some reassurance that i just had a dudd.
    would you expect it to trim a door in 1 pass and a worktop?? should i would expect.

also i found a reveiw somewhere on the net a while back that someone had a prob with theirs that the blade was not parralel with the saw base which sounds like what was causing my problems.

2. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Sorry to hear that - nothing worse than spending your hard-earned on something that doesn't come up to your expectations.

Sounds like it hasn't been adjusted properly (at the factory) for 'toe-in' (or out) - as you say, where the blade doesn't run parallel to the base-plate. There should be some user-adjustment for this - take a look through the manual if you haven't boxed it up already.

If you have time, try a short (blade diameter plus a bit) test cut, then take a look at the quality of cut; if the back end is scorched then it's toe-out...

FWIW any of the current plunge saws should be capable of cutting a kitchen worktop or fire door in a single pass, and (unlike cheapie circ. saws) the blade you get with the saw should be good for most things - you certainly wouldn't expect to need to change it after two days!

Let us know how you get on, OK?

Cheers, Pete.

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

cosworth

"at first i thought it was because of no riving knife or that doing a full 40mm in one go was a bit too much for it."
    Are you seriously saying theres NO riving knife on the MAK saw i cant beleive theyd try that, how stupid.

4. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello handyman.its wrapped up ready to go back now so not going to do anything with it now.
    just hope the new one is better. it has to be really otherwise its a waste in my opinion. just worried its not the best of the plunge saws and ive bought a useless tool. misses will go mad cos ive spent ages coaxing her to let me buy one.:(

5. cosworth

cosworth New Member

cordless king. yep no riving knife. silly not fitting one really. didnt realise this till i had it.

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

cosworth,

sorry to hear that but it sounds like a dud machine to me.:-(

don't worry, D&M should sort it out for you.

keep us all posted

evo nut

7. cosworth

cosworth New Member

evo nut. i came home from work thinking that im gona get my money back and buy the dewalt but after they were saying they would need to send it back to makita and wait for verdict i was afraid they would fob me off saying nowt wrong with it. so thought i'd just opt for a new one quick. but if its the same i will be expecting a refund because makita is a top proffesional make and the tool should be top quality also.

8. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Hi Cosworth

did you try a small cut at all say 15 -20mm ? i would expect the saw to cope with a hardwood door never mind a soft wood door.
    I have a small Mafell KSP40 which easily slices through worktops and hardood doors, though its a bit small for external doors.
    So I have been looking at both the makita and the festool, not much in either in comparison. I negotiated a TS55 with 2 (1400mm) rails, pack splinter guards, Makita rail cover and anti kick back device all for £325 + vat, but I'm waiting till next week when the vat price will drop by £12, (I know I'm tight !!) but the Makita was £80 cheaper for same deal.

Reading about your woes has made up my mind about the festool.Although most of my stuff is makita I've never had a problem.Hope you get sorted.

9. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Cosworth

They (D&M) have to replace it by law under the sale of goods act (not fit for purpose). Don't let them fob you off with a "return to manufacturer" excuse. Your contract is with them, not Makita.

HTH

10. steve the fitter

steve the fitter New Member

HI Cosworth. i think you must have a dud one mate. I've had mine for bout 3 months now and use it most days. Mine does need a new blade and has started chipping the upside of cuts a bit but still goesthru worktops fine, so till I get as new blade im turning the worktop upside down and getting as good a cut as i would with router

11. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello steve. hope your right.
    straight out of the box the first cut i did was a worktop face up as a test and splintered loads. only way it would cut clean is to do the 3mm first pass setting. did cut clean then but still had to push hard.

12. cosworth

cosworth New Member

i forgot to add in the original post that when i unwrapped it the case was smashed on bottom corner so maybe its had a wack. saw looked ok but who knows what happened to it.

13. evo nut

evo nut New Member

cosworth,

sounds to me like as the case was damaged then thats why it was knackered.

i'm sure the replacement one, when it arrives, monday?, will be excellent

evo nut

14. cosworth

cosworth New Member

evo i hope your right. if im still not happy with the replacement then i think i'l not accept onother after that. got to be a bad one tho im sure.

15. evo nut

evo nut New Member

cosworth,

any news?

16. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello evo. yeh the new saw turned up today. havent tried it yet so no verdict. will be using it tomo to trim some doors so hoping itl do the job. my faith in the brand is knocked at the moment so it has to perform. people critisize dewalt but all my tools are dewalt and not one of them has ever been a dissapointment. im begging the thing to be good now cos i cant deal with the hastle of demanding money back. but i aint paying £300 for a tool that dont do its job.

17. busy builder

busy builder New Member

hi Cosworth
    Hope its all okay, but if not then ask for your money back or a different (make)machine. Any decent trade tool dealer worth his salt will not want to lose a valued customer in this climate.
    Please keep us informed of the outcome.

18. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

Can't understand this at all, I've had one for about 5 months & it is AWESOME, I can cut a worktop from the face with one pass after the scribe cut then edge it without putting a router near it. Hardwood doors no probs & no chips. I had the Mafell before that & the Mak is head & shoulders above it. This may sound a bit silly but are you sure you had the blade facing in the right direction? I've seen it done before.

19. cosworth

cosworth New Member

wow! what a difference. thankfully it works a treat with none of the problems i was having with other saw. trimmed 45mm doors with ease, no strain to push and not a hint of burning on the wood. finally im a happy man. makes life so easy for door hanging, hardly used my plane. YES YES YES im happy.
    how would i compare it to the ts55 though???

plus points for makita... price, and anti tilt on 45deg.

festool has slightly better dust extraction, quicker depth setting. but is it worth £100 more???

makita cuts just as easy and good as fes so for me im happy to save £100 although the fes would never be a dissapointment.

20. cosworth

cosworth New Member

wayne i just had a bad saw! the fact the case was smashed must have somthing to do with it cos the new one i agree is awesome value for money.
    besides if i put the blade in the wrong way i dont think i should be allowed a handsaw let alone a circ.