makita plunge saw.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cosworth, Nov 15, 2008.

1. cosworth

cosworth New Member

just found this deal and wondered if any1 had seen better. £299 for plunge saw, 2 rails, connector and rail carry bag. http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/MAKSP6000K1KIT

also my mate has the festool which ive used a lot so would the makita be a dissapointment. he had a deal for ts55, 2 rails,connector for £395. a saving though of £95 is a big selling point to me.what you think?

2. parana

parana New Member

festools current deal is a free second blade. makita one sounds good, i am sure it will perform as well as the festool. just bought the TS55 myself ended up spending around 580 after all the little accessories, second rail clamps,angle guide, connecters etc. had i seen the makita deal i would have considered it. festools reputation seems to hinge on the TS55/75. wildly over priced, who in there right mind would pay 850 for a kapex? still people pay (including me)the prices will remain inflated.

P

3. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

That's a good price for what you get. D&M are doing the DeWalt plunge saw for £280, but just with one rail & bag. D&M also have an annual show next week at Kempton Park, and there are usually 'show specials' available there; might be worth a look if you're anywhere near??

Festool have pretty much had the guide-rail market to themselves until now (perhaps a patent has expired?) but the aggressive pricing and competition from DeWalt and Makita can only be a good thing for us all. That said, I haven't actually seen, let alone used either the DW or Mak saws so I couldn't say first-hand how they compare to my TS55 e.g. dust extraction etc...

Apparently (again, haven't tried it yet so can't confirm it) the accessories from DW and Mak (e.g. the t-square attachment - yay!) will also fit the Festool rails, so more choice for all :)

Pete

4. parana

parana New Member

5. parana

parana New Member

apartmental!!!! sh*y spell checkers. "apparently" that should say....its early.

P

6. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Theres also Mafell, also a German make, excellent quality, much better the Mak/DW,but priced between the fes and others.

The Mak/DW could only bring theirs out this year due to festools patents expiring.

There are differencesi the wy the plunge works too, the mafell plunges 'down' the otheres plung 'down and forwards' as they are pendulum types. The mafell is better IMHO of course.....as I have one ;)

7. handymanforhire

I looked at the Mafell before I bought the Festool, but at the time they only did the one with the 'bendy' guiderail - looked like an accident waiting to happen, so I went for the Festool.

The new one looks good, but seems to be priced a tad more than the Festool - £429 vs £381 - though I try not to get too hung up on price when I'm buying something that's going to last; more important to me that I can get it serviced quickly if needed, or get spares and accessories without any hassle.

Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of the 'true plunge' Mafell, over the 'pivot plunge' of the others - apart from making it different to the Festool patents, of course, lol!;)

Cheere, Pete

8. steve the fitter

steve the fitter New Member

Hi Cosworth, i have the Makita plunge and think its a great piece of kit. will cut a worktop perfect for edging so saves quite a bit of time on kitchen fitting etc. Havent tried a Festool so cant compare but cant see how the ts55 can cut any better really.

Got mine for £175 with a rail on ebay so have a look on there too maybe (ps it was new with makita guarantee etc)

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Nothing wrong with the Makita, especially as it is cheaper then the Festool. Both are excellent, one is better value for money.

10. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hi Cosworth,.

I.ve got the DeWalt 28volt li-ion one and must say i am well impressed

Battery lasts ages i've cut up two sheets of 18mm mdf into 12 or so pieces and its still the same battery

I chose cordless as alot of my work at the moment is in small council blocks so cutting outside is a must but not if its raining!! Also all my tools are cordless the only thing that ain't are my battery chargers!!;-)

don't rule out the dewalt it also can be used to trim the bottom of doors off whuilst the door is hung but i haven't tried that yet!

also kempton park tool show have it on offer, The dewalt corded saw, 1.5 guide rail and bag for £280.00!

either one you buy you will be very impressed.

evo nut

11. cosworth

cosworth New Member

thanks for all replies. evo nut, im a big fan of dewalt and almost every tool i have is dewalt but this is such a bargain that im finding it hard to forget about.
    whichever saw i go for its a must to have 2 rails in my oppinion and no other deal comes close to this that i have found other than axminster doing an identical deal.

12. evo nut

evo nut New Member

hi cosworth,

like u all my stuff is dewalt ( apart from my cordless bosch planer as dewalt don't make one )

i know nothing about the makita but you should be able ( lots of google searching ) to find the dewalt on good package as well

evo nut

13. cosworth

cosworth New Member

oh well, ive just ordered it so let you know what i think of it. ive spend days scouring the net and not jumped at the first deal i found. i tried to get the clamps thrown in for free but neither axminster or dm tools could do it, not even cost for the clamps. from what ive looked at makita definately has the best deal around at the moment. hope its money well spent.:)

14. evo nut

evo nut New Member

cosworth,

let us know what its like, if its good as my dewalt will pay 4 itself in the 1st job, ;)

evo nut

15. handymanforhire

I was at the tool show at Kempton Park today and had a good look at the Makita, DeWalt and Mafell plunge saws. DeWalt were promoting theirs very solidly with continuous demos from a 'proper' chippie i.e. not a DW sales rep, and Mafell were eager to demo theirs as well. Makita by contrast just had one saw and rail on their display, and try as I might, I couldn't get any Makita Rep. demo it for me; shame, 'cos it looks really nice - similar in a lot of ways to the Festool.

Of the three, the DeWalt probably impressed me the most as it's clearly been very well thought out; the depth of cut gauge takes account of the rail thickness, and there's anti-kickback built into the saw baseplate.

The Mafell is almost over-done, though it has some very nice touches, e.g. 48° bevel cuts, and a guide that shows start and end-points for plunge cuts that aren't made full depth. The Makita seems (as I couldn't get a proper demo) very well made, with a nice (pivot - like the Festool) plunge action. The Mak guide rails also have tiny lip on the end of the rail that stops the saw tipping over when set to 45° - handy to be able to 'park' it.

All in all I don't think anybody would be disappointed with any of them, and it's ultimately down to personal preferences as to what we choose; I'm sure the Makita will serve you well - let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Pete.

16. cosworth

cosworth New Member

evo im sure it will pay for itself easily. as ive already said in other posts ive used my mates festool a lot and since then ive found it a real let down when im left alone to my 18v dewalt cordless that is poor in comparison. for me the rails are the best invention ever.

handyman i wish i could go to the show but living in south wales it just too far to travel. the guy on the fone today said that there were deals on the dewalt at the show but not makita. but my travel expenses would easily cancel out any savings i made at the show anyway.
    although i'd love the dewalt as im a big fan of them the comparison price doesnt come close to makita. dewalt £329 with 1 rail and no bag for rail. makita £299 with 2 rails,connector & rail bag.
    also has anyone noticed that the makita case is the same as the festool just a different colour, and it looks to me as the plung of the saws are very similar. mmm, just hope its as good as the fes.

17. parana

parana New Member

the rail set i bought for the TS55 had the Festool case. I can only just get 2 x 1.4 rails in there, very tight. hopefully the Makita bag will have a little more room.

P

18. parana

parana New Member

what area in south wales you working cosworth? finding work hard to find at the moment?

P

19. cosworth

cosworth New Member

rhondda valley parana. yeh work did slow but is picking up for me again now. where as i was 2 months in advance i did get down to 1 wk but got 3 wks booked in now and 2 wks in january. where you abouts?

20. parana

parana New Member

neath/swansea picking up at the moment but has been very quiet.been travelling further than i would like mumbles/Brynaman etc.

P