Makita to Erbauer

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jonnym2, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

Hello all.

I'm sitting on the fence about my recent tool purchase and wanted to get other people's opinions.

I currently use Makita LXT range for most of my tools. My drill and impact driver get the most work, but in the run of things very light work, I'm a DIYer but quite a full on one.

I needed a cordless angle grinder and drill.
    As my Makita combi drill has been repaired 3 times, the chuck goes very wobbly after its first use on hammer action, I'm less committed to the brand.

As I use the drill on hammer action quite often I've opted for https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...ess-cordless-combi-drill/692hp?ref=SFAppShare
    Its all metal gearbox and 120Nmw should cope better with hammer action and it has 2x 5amp batteries for £140, and Erbauers brushless angle grinder. All coming in at around £220.
    The Erbauer price point is about right on the money for me.

After opening the drill, against the Makita it feels very clunky, the switches and finish feel cheap by comparison, and its heavy. Makita around 1.7kgs and the Erbauer 2.2kgs, which makes a difference as I'm inevitably holding something in one hand and drilling with the other or drilling above my head.

I was using a Milwaukee angle grinder last week and it has a smaller body thickness, the Erbauer just doesn't fit my smaller hand properly.

Its left me wondering if I have made the wrong decision, I could swap out the Erbauer grinder for a Worxs one which is thinner, but would have to get different batteries etc. Battery adapters are an option but don't seem to be made for Erbauer.

What do you lot find? Is Erbauer too cheap, will I be left hankering for my Makita.

Thanks for any help
    Jon

2. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

In my experience the problem with anything not Makita, is that it’s not Makita.

3. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

:DI do know what you mean. Waiting for the Milwaukee or DeWalt crew to jump on you now.:eek:

4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I've used all the major manufacturer's power tools. When I recently started to assemble a new cordless system I went with Milwaukee because I thought red looked better than yellow, blue or green.

Abbadon2001, Timbo66 and Jonnym2 like this.
  5. MikeByfield

Nah they know when they’re beat…

seriously though, I’ve got a van full of them. Everything from a plunge saw to sds, router, everything and they just get it right.

not only that- the warranty. I made the mistake of lending the sds to a customer for the weekend (yeah I know) and he was such an **** with it he bent the chuck.

I put it back in for repair expecting to pay and I got a new one back. They’d peeled off the old badge with the old serial number aand stuck it to a new machine.

then after that my lad was a dick with the skilsaw and also the jigsaw, sent them both back and they were repaired no quibble.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  6. MikeByfield

Yeah but you’ll never be able to get a contract in a fire station, all the red will get mixed up.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  7. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

I like everything about Milwaukee except the price :confused:. I'm not a tradie so it's abit over kill for me. The angle grinder was really nice to use, almost no vibration, a little low on power as it kept stalling, but I suspect it was common of all battery grinders or the anti kick system.

8. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

I live like 20-30mins from the head office where they also do repairs, so I dropped the drill off when passing, a no quibble fix.

Each time I tried to tell them that one use on hammer and it's bust again, but there's no way of communicating with them despite the repairers being only one floor away, so I got the ******** with them :rolleyes:.

Also I got abit of a deal on the Erbauer, but I'm not seeing much love for them so far, bit worrying :confused:.

Stu3540 likes this.
  9. MikeByfield

I’ve never had that type of problem, I wonder if you’ve an old black & white type.

mall my hammer drills have been bomb proof..

Jonnym2 likes this.
  10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’ve got a mountain of Makita 18v stuff. Even the brilliant little vacuum cleaner. No issue with any of it other than the reciprocating saw eats batteries if worked hard (abused). Never had to have anything repaired.

I’ve also got plenty of Erbauer (corded) stuff. Very difficult to fault it for the money. I wouldn’t buy the cordless kits as I have so much Makita stuff it’s difficult to justify anything with a different battery system.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I'm a makita man, but slowly have built up and almost equal amount of erbaur 18v brushless tools too - and honestly can't fault the stuff. They've been fantastic in my opinion

Jonnym2 likes this.
  12. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

No it's a teal/blue lxt. Made on a Friday night 5 mins before beer time, auto destruct built in.

Once I settle on a replacement I'm going to take it apart and see what is what with it. Maybe buy a better bearing for it as I'm sure that's what is letting go .
    Hopefully keep it going as it is very nice to use, when it works.

13. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

My reciprocating saw takes a beating as well and drains batteries fast, but real handy. I have a couple of Erbauer corded things, they seem to keep going, but it's not an investment into the future as with the battery platform.

14. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

That reassuring! Do you still reach for the Makita more than the Erbauer?

I'm thinking of getting a battery adapter for cross compatibility, do you use one?

I've read up about the platform and Erbauers, Worx and Titan are the same parent company, apparently the batteries are cross compatible. If I need a one use burner tool a Titan body might be handy.

The Worx multi tool and Drill I have in the workshop must be 15 years old and have been amazing, and I use them regularly. I've ordered a Worx angle grinder to see if it fits my hand better, it comes with 2x 2amp batteries, why 2 ampo_O they will drain faster than a beer at an AA meet.

I'm warming to Erbauer.:)

15. MikeByfield

Beer at an AA meet … lol…

2A because they’re cheap. All the money is in the battery.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  16. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Ive given my Milwaukee Fuel Combi an absolute beasting over the last 2 years, and it refuses to quit. However - Just picked up an M18 SDS - if you are doing a lot of masonry and concrete drilling - even DIY, you'd be best served by some sort of SDS for those tasks as its night and day vs a combi.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  17. Adam Routley

Adam Routley Active Member

My Dewalt has never broken..

I do however have a Titan SDS now as it's more heavy duty.

I have a Makita chopsaw which is half decent.

My view of the tools is that:

Milwawkee are super expensive
    Dewalt are the best
    Makita are a second place dewaly
    Bosch Blue are great if you're not a brand snob but still want to pay out
    Erbauer / Evolution / Titan - Very good, if you're not a brand snob and care about where your money goes.

Curve ball - Metabo are becoming bigger players! I have their wall chaser and it's outstanding.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  18. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I've had mixed experiences with Makita. I bought a Makita 7.2v drill in 1996 and still have it with the original battery. I still occasionally use it for drilling pilot holes because it's light and accurate.

On the other hand I had some Makita 12v tools but the battery failed after just a few years. I had a Makita 18v strimmer but it wasn't well made and the motor didn't last very long.

I have old DeWalt 18v and 24v tools. They are robust, but a bit clumsy.

I have old Metabo corded tools. They're very nice to use, but I don't really like working with corded now.

Jonnym2 likes this.
  19. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

:oops:. I have 900 watt corded drill, a corded SDS (I Forget which brand), and a great big Titan SDS, a 90s green Bosch and a nice 15 year old Worxs cordless to name but a few. I have an embarrassment of drills, either that or an illness.:p

Thing is I always reach for the light cordless makita, it's easier and always to hand, maybe I should drag the others out more often.:oops:

20. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

I have a Titan SDS as well, I do use that for big jobs, using 1.3m drills to get through the walls(1600 stone cottage) or using it like a mini jack hammer, it's bloody heavy though!

Didn't metabo used to be Hitachi brand, and now Hitachi have sold to someone else they have launched Hikoki I wonder if metabo will start to disappear.

I'm from Yorkshire, so any question of caring about money should be answered.:p