manhole covers in conservatory

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by snatchmo, Nov 8, 2003.

1. snatchmo

snatchmo New Member

Hi guys
    can anyone give me an honest apinion as to the pros and cons of manhole covers inside a conservatory the salesman says there will be no issues regarding smells ect as they are completely sealedI am wary of their advice i have been told they can be moved as they are both foul waste and not all to my property could pose problems any advice on this matter would be appreciated thanks

2. Vision

Vision New Member

If you are getting a conservatory u will need building regs approval anyway, if not planning permission also. Your local BCO will answer your query. Personally I wouldn't have it or buy a house with an arrangement like that.
    Even if u don't need building regs your local BCO should advise
    Mart

3. susie

susie New Member

I had a 'double bolt down' manhole cover in a large conservatory at my previous house. It was 'in situ' for more than 12 years (up until I moved) with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The lid has a recess in which is put concrete when the floor is laid. You can then tile (by cutting tiles to fit into the recess) or carpet over the top.
    It wasn't feasible to move it because of the position of the conservatory; I was given quotes of £500+ for each attempt to dig a hole around the corner of my house to find the drain to reposition the manhole. Also, you have to take into account the fact that manholes are often positioned in the most practical place for access initially so, unless you can relocate it just outside your conservatory, I would leave it where it is!

4. Thermo

Thermo New Member

you dont need building regs unless the conservatory is over 30 sqm

5. CDRW

CDRW New Member

My neighbours recently had a conservatory built over a foul sewer. I contacted the local BCO who advised me that conservatories are classed as "temporary structures" and do not require building regs. If any problems were caused to the foul sewer they may have to demolish it to get access to the sewer.
    I have had more recent talks with another BCO who advised that there were proposals being made to bring conservatories (and other things like ventilation and air conditioning) under building control.
    As to the manhole, providing it is a double seal manhole made for internal use, all will be ok.

6. moffyman

moffyman New Member

my instincts are not to have a sewer access inside any part of my house.Even if I could accept this as a compromise it's always gonna look **** and particularly to a new buyer!