MAPP cylinders

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mountain Man, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Does anyone know of a source for a sealing plug for MAPP cylinders? I'm having to leave my expensive torch on the cylinder as the cylinder valve leaks otherwise. I know I can take the cylinder back to the store, but there's every likelyhood that a replacement will leak as well. I would like to keep the torch seperate from the cylinder as if it's knocked about in my van, it may get damaged.

2. sus

sus New Member

try a calor gas or BOC place, they come with a plasic cap from new and never had a leak from one myself, i would take it back (its probably empty by now anyway). Sure you did'nt drop it while the torch was on the bottle, done that before.

3. HeatingSupport

HeatingSupport New Member

Is this the first time you've used a MAPP gas bottle?

Im guessing you have a super fire torch or similar?

I'd take the bottle back mate, because ive been using super fires and Mapp gas bottles for over ten years and never needed a cap or had one pass.

or if you insist on one for peace of mind, talk the supplier you bought it from. They will be able to find out if one exists from their supplier.

good luck.

4. Allhours

Allhours New Member

Buy a cheaper blow torch and dont worry about it getting damaged.

5. imran_

imran_ New Member

Get a new bottle. It's defective and a new one will not leak. There isn't another good way to seal it. Leaving the torch on is not a good idea - from a H&S perspective.

6. mad.max

mad.max New Member

cap from new

I'm fairly sure this is bad advice. the cap isn't (I don't think) designed to be gas tight, it is there to protect the pin from damage. As suggested, take it back, I've never had one pass, either

7. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

I come to the conclusion a while back that the cylinders wern't lasting as long as they should, I now leave mine assembled in the back of the van in it's own place safe from damage.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

While we're on the subject, whats the best torch out there for soldering standard 15/22/28mm copper pipework?

And what gas do we all use?

Ta :)

9. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Oh I am tempted sinewave as you were so helpful on the electrician forum!

Try sticking your torch up your * ;) your full of gas!

[Edited by: admin6]

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

:^O

Not quite the same, but I'll give yer that! ;)

11. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

I use when I have got some work. surefire 2 which I am very happy with :) And I have Mapp and propane depends what and where I am working still getting use to Mapp.

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Been told that using lead free solder is best as it has a narrower and higher melting point and thus leads to better joints as when it starts to melt it shoots through the whole joint at once.

Oh, and to use the Yella tinned flux as well! ;)

13. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Lead free is costly and only use on potable water, everywhere else use lead it's cheaper melts quicker, dont like the power flux.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Thanks for that. I take it no-one knows the answer to my OP then. I know I can take the cylinder back for a new one which won't leak, but the one I bought was a new one which DOES leak. And yes, the torch is the bernzomatic ts7000. Bought at a good price from bandpoo, so no aftersales advice available there then! Never mind. I'll have to keep my head on then. By the way, regarding so called H&S issues about leaving the head on, I take it it's advised to remove it after use and let the back of my van fill up with MAPP gas? Get a Cig on and watch the result!!! Common sense always rules over H&S with me anyday.

15. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Well if I am in a hurry which isn't often these days I store mine on cylinder but in one of my wellies.

16. HeatingSupport

And what gas do we all use?

Super Fire 2, as the flame is adjustable, about £40-50.
    Yellow Mapp Gas as you cant turn up Black gas! £6-9.
    Generally green solder all the time cos im lazy. about £5 a roll

17. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

You shouldnt be using leaded solder on potable water.

18. HeatingSupport

who said anything about leaded solder???

green solder is lead free

YELLOW is leaded!

but thanks anyway ;)

19. sus

sus New Member

superfire 2 with a mapp nozzle. I never new you had to change the tip for mapp and used the normal one for ages and burnt myself lots, now never a problem also got the pipe guard but its on a stick and i just use it as and when. Just started using cool gel spray which is good and started using the plastic pipe cleaner/deburer tools and emmery strips it keeps you tool box clean of all those bits of rust.

20. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Mapp nozzle!? When I got my surefire said it was suitable for propane and Mapp confused. Though I have been told by using Mapp you need to clean blowtorch regularly due to Mapp being a oilier gas.