Mark up on parts

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by imran_, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Well whats the problem with wha I have said, I am not talking big stuff. I mean fittings pipe wastes and traps, not taps.

2. Pejayem

Pejayem New Member

Most of this seems pretty much like an exchange of ideas on how to justify the highest / most ridiculous mark-up on parts.
    The value-add that plumbers give is their skill and their ingenuity how to do a quality and efficient job. Provision of that is where the costs plus profit should be - in the hour rate or labour price. And that is the basis on which a plumber should be judged and respected or rejected.
    Sure - costs need to be covered on parts including admin but putting additional profit in there is simply profiteering - or making up for inefficient plumbing work or bad estimating.

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Interesting first post there tacking onto a 9yr old thread, sounds like you are not a plumber. :(

The Teach likes this.
  4. Pejayem

Pejayem New Member

Thanks. - Has anything changed in this in the last 9 years? You’re right that plumbing is not my trade - but in fairness the same basic principles should apply to all trades.
    (I was just getting screwed by a plumber and searched out this thread to see what the practice was. The first post and a couple of others all seemed reasonable - most of the later ones were “different” :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Only the raw price`s :D

Pejayem likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

FWIW its worth, I think a mark up should reflect the time and money spent acquiring the part, not to fit it as fitting is charged separately as labour.

There are many components to acquisition - design, selection, purchasing, collecting, administration etc. So a cheap part may have a considerable mark up compared to a more expensive one.

7. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I'm reminded of something that goes on in the car repair world - one parts invoice for the customer and a real one.

I suppose that does allow an apparently lower hourly rate / labour charge but if the customer decides to source parts themselves that leaves a bit of a problem. Personally I like to know the cost of both before hiring some one and am capable of looking at the parts cost myself. I'm paying for labour and skill.

When some one takes a job on they should be able to cost out the lot including parts so I really can't see the point in inflating parts costs other than in a couple of cases I have personally experienced actually seriously over charging.

To be honest this area is one reason why I am inclined to DIY. In some areas I know people who will do a fair job at a reasonable price and also do it well. Us out here never know how well a job will be done until it's finished. Doesn't matter what it is when it's being done on our homes.

John
    -

8. Pejayem

Pejayem New Member