Marking Hinges on a new door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by David Morris, Jun 21, 2006.

1. David Morris

David Morris New Member

I'm fitting my first ever new door with rising hinges. I've fixed half of each hinge to the door frame. How do I determine exactly where I should fix the other half of each hinge on the door itself?

Do I do this by careful measuring, or do I do it by holding the door up against the frame somehow?

(Sorry if this seems a dumb question to you professionals.)

David

2. Trog

Trog New Member

If I was you I'd take the hinges off the frame then offer up the door, put a wedge under the door until the gap at the top is suitable (2-3mm) then mark the door where you have cut out for the hinges. Simple.
    One thing you will have to be aware of with rising butt hinges is that the top of the door will need a "Leading edge" from about 6mm (you'll find out when the door is swinging)on the hinge side of the door to nothing at the closing side of the door. In effect this will be twisted as you look along the top edge but will not be noticed when the door is closed as the "twisted" edge will be against the door stop when closed.
    One thing I will mention is that from past experience and especially on cheaper rising hinges the leaves when closed do not line up exactly (check when you get them out of the pack) in which case you will have to allow for this when marking the hinges as it will affect the gap at the top of the door.
    Do put a leading edge on the hinge side of the door to prevent possible "binding" in case the frame is twisted and of course put a leading edge on the closing side of the door to allow it to pass by the frame without catching.

Good luck

3. David Morris

David Morris New Member

Trogg

Many thanks for the info. Yes, the 6mm leading edge on top of the door next to the hinge is obvious when you think about it - I hadn't thought about it.

The design of my Rising Butt Hinges is such that the two plates of the hinge are some distance apart when the hinge is "closed" and they are parallel. Does this mean that I need to recess the hinge deeply into the frame and the door, or does it just mean that I should plan for a fairly wide gap between the door and the frame?

The gap I'm talking about is 3mm, but regular hinges seem to close the gap completely when the two sides are parallel.

david

4. Trog

Trog New Member

Determining the hinge side gap is not really an exact science. The first one is generally trial and error and will then act as a template for those afterwards. I suggest that you recess the hinge so that it is slightly below the surface of the timber (both frame and door)try it and if it looks good when closed then job done. If not remove and recess a little deeper if need be.