Masking cleanup

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Idris Draig, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

Masking tape has been left on UPVC facial for several weeks.
    Baked on in sun and rain.
    Now I can't get it off without leaving very sticky glue.

Any suggestions on how to get it off without trashing the UPVC?

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

3. frosty82

frosty82 Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

SX Siroflex PVCu Frame Cleaner from competitor, very good product.

5. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, I've tested paraffin (which I had to hand) on an off cut of the facia and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. Does anyone know if it's a really bad idea?

6. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

I prefer solvents to remove glue, the cream cleaners are mildly abrasive and too much rubbing can dull the finish on recent upvc. WD40 is very good, as is peanut butter.

The cream cleaners are fantastic on old upvc but once one bit is clean it'll be obvious and you'll have to do the whole frame, then the window next to it will look grubby.... you'll end up doing the whole house!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Dab of white spirit will soften the glue, wash off with hot soapy water and a cloth or nylon, non scratch pan scourer

Only on white UPVC though, wouldn’t suggest on coloured or wrapped units

8. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Lighter fluid.

chippie244 likes this.
  9. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

Hmmm. This is black. Is white spirit likely to disvolour? Parafin doesn't seem to have done in my test.

10. DIYDave.

Hi Idris

I don’t really want to say ‘yeah go for it, all will be ok’

May be ok, maybe not, but don’t wish to give bad or untested advice to anyone and leave you with damaged units

You say you have an offcut so give it a test with spirit, give it a good rub with a cloth, maybe leave it 5 mins and another rub with white spirit, wash down with warm soapy water and see the outcome :) ? / :eek: ?

It’s your call matey. I just usually use white spirit myself when there’s similiar glue type residue left on surfaces

11. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

BIG wipes!

12. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

White spirit (and elbow grease) seems to work a treat.
    Thanks for the opinion/advice.

13. DIYDave.

Cheers mate, pleased all went well, cleaned up the glue residue and hopefully ur windows are still black :D

Definitely a difference in brands of masking tape when it comes to peeling it off

Know you said urs had been on for several weeks and baked by the sun but some of the rubbish tape is a nightmare to remove from the get go

Idris Draig likes this.