massive electricity bills (Fusion) electric wet heating system

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Margaretk76, Apr 4, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Not on facebook but is the boiler wall mounted, if so then its not a thermal store, those things weigh a tonne.

It looks a pressurised heating system though, there is a filling loop in one of those pictures. A water tank is not a hot water cylinder though, probably just the filling tank in the loft.

It does look a strange set up though, electric boiler with 2 zone vales (the white things) just like a standard set up and what is that neutral block under the metert along with the grey tails on the right of the picture?

2. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

in what picture?

when my pressure dropped on boiler a while ago i had to open TWO small black taps under boiler.......i thought this weird as last house only had one

nuetral block??
    grey tails on right ???

3. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

in this picture?

Attached Files:

4. peter palmer

Not 100% but maybe the meter is a combined radio teleswitch, the extra 5th terminal on it could be a switched output and is only live during the night tariff, how many fuse boxes have you got?

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The "fifth" is the link from the meter to the off-peak control. I have added a picture.
    image.jpg

This is a dual rate meter - the low rate is meter is controlled by tail on the right.

Maybe your install is not metering an off-peak rate. Could explain the high bills.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Maybe not a total solution for you, but this will be of some help:

For one I'd turn the heat output down from 65 degrees (from the photo of boiler) to 60 or even 55 degrees (if you still can still get by at that temp) , and you'll see your costs plummet.

Also, is your hotwater tank lagged or insulated, or bare copper? If the latter, then put a thick insulating blanket on it.

Both these measures will reduce your bills an appreciable chunk.

And get the thermostat on your hot water tank checked: It may be knackered and constantly calling for hot water.

7. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

boiler only been put to 65 over the past two days......usually on 60 as this is the recommended to kill bacteria?

and the fifth i can only see 4 cables coming from meter? meter.jpg

8. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

i think i have two fuse boxes???? fuses.jpg

9. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

there is the main fuse box with the usual lights sockets yadda yadda buty on the right of the meter i have another fuse box?

10. peter palmer

For some reason this post reminds me of the one in the very hot nursing home from Lucia.

I think the bigger of the two meters is the original one and the small one is the test meter. The big one has a 5th output which is probably a full load switched output.

11. peter palmer

Can you get a picture showing everything, the meters, fuse boxes, everything electrical in that area.

12. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

ive had a few beers but here goes lol

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Legionella dies in 32 minutes @ 60 degrees.

I'm not sure in your instance this would be a necessary step anyway.

14. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

had to split it to 3 photos to fit everything in .............sorry 20160404_204149.jpg 20160404_204158.jpg 20160404_204207.jpg 20160404_204149.jpg 20160404_204149.jpg

15. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

as for temp i was told to set it to at least 60 then someone else said 65 i have no idea??

16. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

am i right that it is not wired into the 5th terminal?

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It looks to me that the fifth terminal is not used(centre meter in your last picture). Seems that would be needed for the meter to switch to off-peak!
    May well be the reason for your high bill.

One live and one neutral seem to go to the heater control box, from the peak supply.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. peter palmer

It would help if we knew which meter was the original one and which is the test meter. Looking at your fuse boxes, the water heater is run off the 24 hr domestic board, this is to be expected because you may need to boost it during the day. There is a 40A MCB unmarked in the domestic board as well, that could be the boiler, now if this board isn't being metered on the cheap rate that could have something to do with the high prices.

What are the MCBs for in the other board, one says Electric fire I think (16A) another says heating something or other but its only a 6A so nothing juicy and I cant make out the third one, although it looks like a 10mm coming from that way.

Maybe one of the fuse boxes has been disconnected from the 5th terminal whilst its under test, especially if the test meter is only a single rate one, there is a sticker over the LED(s) on the smaller meter so who knows.

19. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

hi

the check meter is the little one to the left of the larger one

on the larger one there is only 4 cables coming out of the bottom of the meter