massive electricity bills (Fusion) electric wet heating system

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Margaretk76, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I don't think he can tell you or do much think problem is with your meter

2. Did you read the article I posted earlier on SSE faulty meters.

3. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

yeah i did but sse digging heels in saying meter ok ?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, I would expect the council electrician/carpenter/plumber to be completely clueless.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

i think you may be right :rolleyes:

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Like I said I'm no expert on meters but don't some have a teleswitch built in nowadays?

7. Sparkielev

I went to property other day with British gas supplier the meter wasn't switching off during day , I tested but they wouldn't have it that meter was faulty so doesn't surprise me that SSE digging heels in

8. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

i am at a loss will come back on tomorrow let you all know what council electrician says..................any pointers video what he does/says...........a bit extreme perhaps but i am not an electrician..............and i am convinced something weird is going on .................

9. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

oh one other thing ......................i may not be an electrician but once i get my teeth into something i'm like a pitbull i don't let go so as long as i know i'm right i will fight it

10. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

whats this 'teleswitch' ?

11. Sparkielev

It's like a timer in your meter that switches over to one rate then another they are known to malfunction

12. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

yeah i can hear it...........it makes the loudest bang ever but then again its never woken me up say at 4.30am when its supposed to come on

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Sounds like the contactor is working ok so its switching over to the supposed cheap rate. . .

14. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

so if i have got this right from what you lovely gents have said so far, i need to go back to SSE...............

- ask why the wrong check meter was put in?
    - ask why meter is not wired into 5th terminal, as this determines the off peak rate?
    - how do you check the times the actual meter is switching over tariffs, could this be set to be wrong?

is there anything else i should ask..............................

15. Would a useful first move be to buy an energy meter that'll monitor the total house's consumption - with a clamp sensor to simply clip over the main incoming 'live' - which Margaret can then use to check the TOTAL energy consumption of her hoosie?

To see if the two energy readings she's getting literally add up.

Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrisa...369372?hash=item41a7757e5c:g:Yt8AAOSwJQdW9~aQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energy-El...011022?hash=item2eed6f9f0e:g:2a4AAOSwuAVWy3MB

If the total from this new meter equals the combined readings of her other two meters - 'day' and 'saving' - then it'll show that the meters are at least correctly wired up and that one isn't also reading the other's as well as its own.

It'll also confirm whether power is being consumed during the night when Mags thinks the system should be offski; "Readings on the monitor are showing most of the juice is overnight but nothing is set to come on!!".

16. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

i have one of those already........................its all gobbledegook to me!

17. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

Does anyone know about MPAN numbers????

18. Is it clamped over the single main incoming live? If so, does it's total cumulative reading tie up with the two separate readings from the actual domestic meter?

19. I understand it identifies every meter. Each one has a unique number, and they can tell which property the meter is in from that number (if they've kept their records properly...)

20. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

from my check meter it is stating that nearly all the power is being used at night time......which is my dilemma only thing timed to come on about that time is the heating and hot water from 5am til 7am so my other half can get up for work and have a hot wash and not be freezing cold