massive electricity bills (Fusion) electric wet heating system

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Margaretk76, Apr 4, 2016.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ahh next you'll be telling me that to have a dual tariff, you need two power supplies to the house? All I can see on the photos the OP has supplied are electronic meters,,, not electro mechanical ones.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Read my earlier post. The main meter, not the check one, is exactly the same as I have. It is programmed, has an internal clock and switch, there are five terminals two for teh input, a neutral out, permamnet live out and off peak switched out - te latter is missing. So unless there are other clocks to switch devices, the lack of that could be the reason.

3. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

If neighbour is on SSE too, you could suggest SSE check if neighbour's electricity bills are unusually low :)

4. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

according to sse i am paying more than two and a half times what my neighbours are

5. Do you just use the fusion boiler for water heating?
    Are there any immersion heaters on the hot water cylinder left switched on?

6. Pollowick

So, did you get some readings? Were they identical? or different?

7. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

Deleted member 11267 - if by hot water cylinder you mean tank thats in my upstairs neighbours loft then i don't know??

Pollowick - not sure what you mean? sse didnt tell me anyone elses readings or financial info only that i am paying way more.......but i know the old lady upstairs is with SP as she told me a wee while back at the very most she pays £35 per week, and by her own admission both hot water and heating are on permenantly.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

''Two checks you can do ...

One hour before the Peak/OffPeak switch Turn off everything in your flat - and that includes TVs on standby and even the fridge and freezer (they will last for a day). Take a set of readings. Go out and have a good walk and coffee. Come back two or three hours later, check te readings. The should be identical - if they are not, something is still on or your supply is being tapped into.

Turn off the boiler and heating completely. Then a few hours later, when you are on PEAK rate, turn everything off and then turn the boiler and heating back on. If the lower LED flashes, power is being used and it demonstrates tha your devices are not wired correctly''

Why don't you just do what Pollowick sais Marg?..its the be all and end all as you will definitely know if your electricity is being sucked by someone else in the flats.

9. Pollowick

Exactly, and I thought she was going to based on the earlier posts. As you say it will demonstrate whether her supply is providing power to something outside her control and that the heating/boiler are on the E10 off peak rates.

10. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

i would need to do it overnight i think as i THINK this is when all the power is being used?

or am i just sounding insane now...........................

an electrician is coming tomorrow apparrantly from the council

11. Pollowick

If that is the case then you will need to minimise what you have connected - turn your fridge and freezer down to their coldest settings NOW, and provided they are not opened up they should be alright for a few hours. Unplug everything, except the alarm clock and intruder alarm (if you have one) and keep a record or how many lights are on and for how long. Do that about 60 to 30 minutes before the switch and then take readings. When, you get up, take readings and then turn things back on.

12. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

right now the only things on an plugged in are.................tv, sky box, internet, fridge freezer, alarm clock........next switch to off peak is at 8.30pm and back to peak is 12.30 (half midnight) i normally go to bed about 11 so i will unplug everything except the fridge freezer and also turn off the boiler I will then take readings.............I am up before 7am and I will take another set of reading again........................

13. Pollowick

What are your Peak and OFF-Peak times?

Mine OFF-Peak are: GMT 13:00 to 16:00 ............ 20:00 to 22:00 ............ 00:00 to 05:00

or in current BST 14:00 to 17:00 ............ 21:00 to 23:00 ............ 01:00 to 06:00

Having a 4 hour evening off peak sounds a little odd.

14. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

my off peak times are

0430am til 0730am
    1300pm til 1600pm
    2030pm til 0030

15. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Is there a clue here guys:eek:_O
    if by hot water cylinder you mean tank that's in my upstairs neighbours loft then i don't know??

16. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

oh im loast hahaha

17. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

question that i would have is , is this "boiler" suppossed to be connected to an off peak supply<ie the 5th meter terminal. if it is then thats your problem

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Turn the switch by the hot water tank in the loft off.
    Turn your boiler off.
    Go and visit someone for a long weekend.

Ask your neighbour if they've had problems with their hot water when you get back...

19. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

to clarify.........last night 11pm only thing left on was fridge, alarm clock and charging an iphone (man needs this for work) boiler and everything else switched off
    Readings were
    Rate 1 23912 Rate 2 34249
    with Rate 2 Flashing to show off peak meter shows 100A red light on and 1000 imp/kwh flashing every say 12 seconds

Readings this morning Rate 1 23912 Rate 2 34249 Rate 2 flashing

so can eliminate neighbours then huh...................................

20. Margaretk76

Margaretk76 Member

Turn off the boiler and heating completely. Then a few hours later, when you are on PEAK rate, turn everything off and then turn the boiler and heating back on. If the lower LED flashes, power is being used and it demonstrates tha your devices are not wired correctly''

This is what I am doing next...........................have left boiler and heating off, i go into peak time at 7.30am till 1pm................... so at 11am i will turn everything off then put boiler and heating back on and check the lights on the meter.

I really appreciate the help ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016