Massive help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mikeatho, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mikeatho

Mikeatho New Member

Hi

My name is Mike I'm from the north west, I qualified for my plumbing level 2 + 3 in 2008 but didn't get a apprenticeship or plumbing job after it so I got a normal job and this past 2 years I have been trying to get a job in plumbing, I have helped a mate out with the odd bathroom but not a lot, can anyone help me with what I should do in my next step? Greatly appreciated!

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    Are you employed now?

Or in between jobs?

3. Mikeatho

Mikeatho New Member

I am employed now but as a forklift driver

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A case of knocking on doors Mike. If you really want to get into plumbing then you will. What are your current financial commitments... i.e can you take a pay cut and survive while you work your way up?

5. Mikeatho

Mikeatho New Member

Yes I could take a pay cut, anything to get back into it, Im just finding it difficult to get a sniff at the moment. I have been searching plumbers mate jobs but to no avail. I'm not sure what else I should be searching or where I could find it. I just need advice on what and where to search as a main point?

6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Try your local college, they often have contacts with established plumbers in their area and one of them maybe looking for someone.
    It will probably not just be a pay cut but a major pay cut.... try to get with someone on the GSR, presumably that is where you wont to end up. Good luck.

7. Bricklayer_andy

Bricklayer_andy New Member

Jones homes a building a ton of houses around manchester.

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Since the carve up of the job plumbing trade into modules you need all of the modules to complete in todays job market.
    Finding a job just as a wet plumber I would have thought to be extremely difficult.

So my advice would be to try and do the gas module part of plumbing.

It's all about the £££££s these days

9. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    How about creating your own work?

Example, I'm sure you could install an out side tap?

So get yourself a good drill, cost the materials, and add a bit of profit, and start doing it at family, friends and neighbors,

If you can do 10 really good tidy jobs, you will have 10 customers, that will recommend you and your service.

No one will knock your door and offer a job, go out at get it!

Hope this helps

Regards
    Peter

10. Mikeatho

Mikeatho New Member

Appreciate all your comments I'm going to start getting as much of the equipment together as I can keep helping my mate and attempting family jobs and try and grow as a plumber on my own, fingers crossed that's the step I need to take cheers people

11. kiaora

kiaora Guest

That's the attitude of someone who will succeed!

let us all know when you make your fortune, we'll all come to your company's party!