Mastic treaty..

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Three Phazed, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:59 PM.

1. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

Hi all, bit of a dilemma and looking for advice... was using roofing lap mastic and seem to have got some on 2 carpets... :mad:Anyhoo.... any thoughts on what could be used to remove it? Have tried no nonsense wipes which are good for removing it from tools but not, alas, carpet. Have tried meths but that was unsuccessful. I believe petrol may do it as i think the mastic is bitumen based...but before I reach for the 4 star is there anything you can suggest that may be more suited? One of the carpets is only temporary so am not over stressed if it marks during cleaning but the good carpet will be staying....(i hope:oops:)
    Thanks in advance

2. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

Carb cleaner.

3. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

Thanks Longboat... Will see if I can get some during the week and try on an hidden area.. .

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

White spirit -

Pretty sure it dissolves that stuff, used gutter mastic recently (same / similiar stuff ?) and got it all over my hands, cleaned off with white spirit

Or acetone

Then wash several times with soapy water, dry with clean cloths. Don’t use too much pressure or scrub as you can damage pile, even if stain comes out the pile will show as different

Depends what carpet is made of though, small test patch 1st that’s outta sight maybe - good luck

5. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

It stinks to high heaven but does the job on anything, grease, grime, dirt related. Small bursts, and mop up with paper towels as you go.

6. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

Hi all

That's brilliant, will start with white spirit and then raid mrs3 phazeds manicure bag for acetone, and after that go shopping for carb cleaner. After that ....new carpet!

Will let u know how it goes....

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Home insurance ?

9. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

So.....

White spirit
    Acetone
    Carb cleaner
    Wd40
    Home insurance :) think this will be needed after all the above lol..

All valid points, thanks very much all. Will do a test and report back.......

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Can just see the insurance claim - House burnt down due to the carpet spontaneously igniting due to white spirit, acetone, carb cleaner and WD40! Be interesting explaining all that to the fire investigator ;)

11. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member