Matching Oak Worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by killemall, May 5, 2018.

1. killemall

killemall New Member

Hi all, i have existing oak worktops i fitted about 8 years ago , and i have just extended a run of cupboards and therefore need to fit additional worktop.

The existing worktops have been oiled and re-oiled a good few times over the years with Liberon tung oil. The new worktop i have just given its first oiling, obviously there is a difference in colours and i expect even after many re-oliings will take some time to get closer and probably never totally match the original. However i am just wondering if there are any ideas / tips that i could follow, other than just keep oiling the new wood.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

theres a fair chance the wood was different colours even on the same production line few mins later after several years it often better to enjoy the new colour difference with a minimum amount to reduce the contrast
    if you spend ages and lots off effort getting it to match now as it ages it may be even worse
    with pine iff you treat it to look like antique pine after 2 years it will be twice as dark if you leave it untreated it will be antique pine in two years

3. killemall

killemall New Member

Yeah, i agree and expect it will always be different after all it is wood, and the worlds supply of trees is always changing as per the environment and i am happy to embrace the contrast. I was just wondering if there was anything tips of the trade that i dont know about that could lessen the difference, but yes note your comments re pine and probably best to leave alone.

4. killemall

killemall New Member

thanks for the reply too :)

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the old story was to oil underneath 3 times
    then on top once a day for a week once a week for a month for a year then twice a year from then on
    but suspect the about 22 applications probably nearer perhaps 5 max:rolleyes:
    perhaps if you try 10 [or double the old]over the year it will be the best compromise

Last edited: May 6, 2018