MDF and formaldehyde

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by woodsmith, Mar 17, 2004.

1. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

hondabird thanks for bringing that to my attention, if the FMB say it is safe, it should prevent any litigation coming my way.

Keith

2. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Sorry guys didn't intend to create hornets nest. I just came across that hse site and thought it might stir interest. It beggars belief on who, or indeed, what to believe. I think you cannot beat the old common dog and protect yourself from ALL forms of dust as best you can and agree totally that it is not the short term but the long term effects.

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

For over 100 years all dead bodies are filled with formaldehyde to embalm them.
    Before then there were many instances of people being buried alive.
    Now there are none because if the doctors make a mistake then the formaldehyde makes sure they are dead. :(
    Formaldehyde is nasty stuff.

4. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Dewy I think I prefere a dose of formaldehyde than to wake up entombed. Probably be an MDF coffin as well:)

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I bet they dont even use danish oil as a finish. ;)

6. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

All the wood in my house was covered in antique pine coloured varnish, Mrs W and I call it agent orange, when I remove each piece we ritually burn it, I've done about 2/3 of the house, just about to have 4 more doors dipped.

So worst case senario MDF casket, agent orange and plastic mock brass effect handles, I'd rather be dead than have that happen to me;):D

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

woodsmith it sound the perfect casket to be put in cos i
    recon that even though you go in dead you would be resurrected
    by the mdf tacky varnish and **** furniture
    that the swearing would
    be so blue they would
    let you out

big all

8. oggie

oggie New Member

I had the pleasure of seeing a coffin produced by
    company down your way guys R.T.& L VOWELS
    and it was oak veneered chipboard and not one bit was wasted the cutting was used to make the casket for the ashes
    I also just buiried mother inlaw and hers was a co-op coffin and it was still chipboard veneer
    Me thinks MDF would make the coffin to heavy

9. jasonb

jasonb New Member

10. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

11. Puzzler

Puzzler New Member

Hospitals at one time used to use formaldehyde as a disinfectant, but stopped when they realised that it was giving patients cancer !!!!

12. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

jason I don't even have a B&Q near me :(:)

Closest merchant I've found so far 60 miles but not had much chance to look yet.

Thanks

Keith