MDF Floating Shelves, 50mm Thick 4800mm long 375mm Depth - Help / Ideas Pls

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by evo nut, Oct 17, 2007.

1. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

why is the lighter stuff better?

is is light in colour aswell?

i bought a sheet of mdf from a different suppier today and it was much darker in colour and heavier and about a tenner more

2. evo nut

evo nut New Member

jason b,

thank for your reply

i agree i think the box is the best idea, but the wants it spra and all those joints ae going to strat to crack and i am worried its going to loo as mess.
    '
    The lightweight and ultra light weight MDF is OK where it does not need a machined edge or routed detail because it is very "Fluffy" and you cant get a decent finish to the fibres.' --- totally agree to that, saves the back though

evo nut

3. evo nut

evo nut New Member

should say sprayed finish

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Mr Mike,

thanks for reply and the pictures

she wanted the span of 375mm, and your look narrower that that so i tyhink in this instance the box idea is the best

as i am spraying in there will be quite a few joints and i know that they are going to crack and she isn't gonna be happy!

what to do, what to do

evo nut

5. evo nut

evo nut New Member

paulo333,

thanks for your reply.

i think your idea may have just cracked it with the metal bar on the back edge which certainly would eliminate most of the sagging.

May go for that, but still bit worried about the joints cracked.

Also she wants over 4m in length!!!

evo nut

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

chip off the block,

the lighter stuff is better *** it is easire to manhandle.

it is more expensive than a normal sheet

also it is lighter in colour.

a lot harder to finish the edges as they are very fluffy

you will have to go to a large sheet supplier to stock these.

the sheet you bought today was still mdf but was from a different company, Caberwood is the most common, yours was someone elses - dunno who though, look on the edge as it sometimes is stampped on there.

evo nut

7. chip off the block

the stuff i normally buy is light in colour and has medium fluffyness when routed and costs me £14+vat. the darker stuff in heavy and harder to cut but leaves no fluff and cost £25+vat

8. evo nut

evo nut New Member

chip off the block,

light in colour, medium fluffyness sounds like the stuff we use all the time, cabinet makers, we also use the moisture board as the edges take the sprayed finih really well. also 14+ vat is good,

our stockist charges 12 + vat

darker stuff dunno what that is but is suspect its a differnt grade. if you can find out please let me know it usesful to know.

evo nut

9. chip off the block

the dark stuff i am guessing will be caber as the flooring they stock is caber but this is a big assumsion

10. evo nut

evo nut New Member

chip off the block,

may be the one we always use is caberwood so may be its a differnt grade?

i'll ask my supplier if i remember next time i do an order.

evo nut

11. southelec

southelec New Member

Ikea do a floating shelf system,you could do worse than copy it. a metal plate screws to the wall,as many fixings as you like, the plate has conduit welded to it and the shelf has holes which locate onto the tube, I'm sure you could get a similar bracket knocked up at an engineering works.

12. evo nut

evo nut New Member

southelec,

thanks for reply.

i already have a floating shelf bracket, but they can't take the weight

evo nut

13. southelec

southelec New Member

Use the principle just beef it up as long as you make the shelf to cover it the bracket can be angle iron.

14. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Moisture Resistant MDF cuts / routs better and leaves a cleaner edge.

Personally I like Medite.

Evo Nut.....you say your firm is a cabinet makers. What items do you make there ? What other materials do you use ? Just interested really, I don't know many real cabinet makers left in business around London.

15. evo nut

evo nut New Member

mike,

we mainly use MDF and real wood for doours etc..

please check out www.good-measure.co.uk

all work with a spray finish, top coat as well

evo nut

16. evo nut

evo nut New Member

should say doors

17. chip off the block

i always avoided the lighter stuff because of the finish but it is easier to use. not too sure bout the moister resistant stuff only used it the once as my supplier only had 25mm in m/r. seems to cut ok tho

18. evo nut

evo nut New Member

chip off the block,

the moisture stuff is easier to finsih on the edges when hand sanding I find.

may be has something to do with the green band in the middle?

and yes the lighter stuff is harder to finish on the edges.

evo nut

19. lamello

lamello New Member

trouble on this job is threefold. 1. the span of the shelves. Its massive. Sure resin bonding studs works well on smaller shelves. But I wouldnt be so sure for a shelf this length. 2. Depth of shelves. So inviting to double or triple up books on these. The strain could be enormous. 3 the weight of the shelves. going on mr deeds library stats worst case scenario(cos thats what you need to allow for) three rows of books so 150 kilos per metre so nearly 750 kilos potentially on these shelves. thats not including the weight of the shelves. if you go for your 50mmish sandwich so guestimating say 4 sheets 18mm@25kg sheet. So in total potential weight around 850kg. Even with just one row of books it'll be 350kgs. I dont fancy hanging that off studs. In my humble opinion I would only do this job with a properly thought out light as possible torsion box design and brackets sunk into the wall and concealed underneath the shelves. More work but same visual effect. If your customer refuses brackets even if they cant be seen she is an idiot and give her her money back. If you dont fancy doing a properly constructed solution with adequate support then you need to give her her money back and back out of this job, ploughing on without adequate design and adequate support is a bit of a wrong choice in my opinion.

20. evo nut

evo nut New Member

lamello,

thanks again for your reply

yes I know that whatever i do I am never going to be quite happy with it.

And I would just like to point out that under no circumstances do I want to ' If you dont fancy doing a properly constructed solution with adequate support ' as I don't bodge I do things correctly.

Also because she doesn't want to spend any more money and i have now wasted 7 sheets of 25mm cutting up her stupid shelves I think it is time to cut my loses and give her her deposit back.

I think the bracket concealed idea is a brilliant one but I just know she will say no. I will ring her again tomorrow.

And yes she is and so is the designer who took the pictures of the ones she saw in a stupid designer unrealsitic magazine -- and they only light stuff on them no books.

evo nut