Mdf poor surface finish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dmack, Nov 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

To be honest I’d be surprised if you couldn’t get a better finish than what’s already there.
    I would start by sanding everything with 240 and 320, no need to sand the existing finish off just smooth it out, pay attention to the v grooves there’s a fair amount of breakout from the routing process there, then do what we’ve discussed with the door edges etc.
    Once you are happy everything is as smooth as you can get it re-prime with Zinsser bin from an aerosol. Then two coats of eggshell from a foam roller, I like these https://www.toolstation.com/rota-premier-concave-mini-roller-refill/p49410 break it down into as many separate components as you can and do one side at a time, when dry flip and repeat. Thinning the paint a little helps the slight texture from the roller flow out. Don’t forget to de-mid with 320 between all coats.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on.

2. dmack

dmack New Member

I'll order those bits and pieces and will post an update here.
    Thanks alot, really appreciate the advice!

3. dmack

dmack New Member

Used to live in London and work in Chertsey so would pass through Richmond on train everyday. Nice spot. :)

4. dmack

dmack New Member

Just one more question, will the zinsser bin help with the edges as well?
    The water based primer was used for this just and hasn't worked too well. I've attached a pic of one of the edges. All of them or more or less the same.

Attached Files:

5. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Yes, the edges soak up finish like a sponge and swell up causing the poor, rough finish. They are much less prone to soaking up the BIN as the alcohol used as a solvent evaporates quickly and therefore the finish is wet for a much shorter time. BUT that is no substitute for the prep and you will still need to sand between coats, remember if it ain’t smooth under the primer / undercoat it ain’t going to be smooth under the paint. Those edges in the pics are typical of poor preparation. I would also guess that it is bog standard mdf. For future reference moisture resistant mdf is not much more expensive and gives a better finish, it seems denser and gives much crisper detail on machined edges.

6. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Before applying 2nd coat of primer, sand the edges down with 120g, then apply paint.if still heavily pitted, use toupret fine surface filler along edge, let dry, then sand with 180-240g, then paint.

7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

2 partfiller on the cut edges also gives a good, hard wearing finish which can be sanded smooth

8. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Indeed it does, but maybe to much for the chap regarding mixing and spreading as he said he was inexperienced

9. dmack

dmack New Member

Cheers for further advice folks, should be good to give it a go. Will keep you posted