MDF superior paint finish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by whibley, Nov 5, 2003.

1. whibley

whibley New Member

Constructed bespoke bathroom, bedroom and kitchen cupboards. Finish hand painted just doesn't look as good as some kitchen factory painted units I have fitted. I guess these are sprayed. I have compressor and gun used for automotive repair. I need to know what paint materials are available the application technique, etc. Can anyone help?

2. vincereynard

vincereynard New Member

Gloss (or more likely satin) should spray fine if its thinned enough. Anything thicker than milk might not work too well. Your problem would be runs, dust and drying time. Little point trying spraying in the garage this time of year. Aerosols?? You won't need many for a few cabinets - especiallly as most of the cabinets will probably be hidden.

3. number 4

number 4 New Member

first of all you need to use moisture resistant mdf for kitchens and bathrooms! hope list helps:
    1;dust free
    2;warm
    3;for high humidity areas need to use solvent based polyurethane paints
    4;need to use mdf primer compatible with the above.
    5;do not try to spray ordinary solvent paints (it is possible but takes for ever to dry)

i prefer hand painted finish, have you tried using a mini roller? try it;
    1;dulux mdf primer
    2;light sand
    3;two coats of eggshell or satinwood sanded between
    4;this is actually more hard wearing than asprayed finish

4. dragon

dragon New Member

I do fully agree with number 4 , just using a mini gloss roller will do the job perfectly.
    rgds

5. number 4

number 4 New Member

dear dragon, have you done your desk top yet and if so any joy?

6. dragon

dragon New Member

Hi Number 4,
    I've done it as you said n the result is very good.
    That's why I said that a mini gloss roller would do the job just fine. I would call it the job satisfaction..
    Thks mate!!
    Dragon