Megaflow query, regarding un equal hot and cold pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Northwest gas svc's, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

As above , mega flow piped up correctly, customer a bit of a gadget geek has measured his flow rates and pressures of his hot and cold water at various taps and found the hot is slightly stronger and faster flowing than the cold ???
    Me and my mate are a bit baffled as the hot is dependant on the cold coming in surely but, it deffenately is stronger.
    All pipework (or very nearly all) is pretty new.
    Im following on from the builders plumber, who rightly so has done one now, cause this customer is a right pain in the backside, but looks a pretty proffesional job.

2. imran_

imran_ New Member

Well is the cold of the combo valve or not??

3. solenoid

solenoid New Member

the megaflow has a built in expansion baffle built in at the top of the cylinder, you will get an increase in pressure at first, think about it it's all pressurized plus the baffle and incoming cold feed!!

4. when not being used the cylinder will pressurize to the mains pressure at its highest lets say 5 bar in this example.
    You use the hot water later when the mains is having heavy use and down to say 2 bar.
    until the hot water pressure drops it will be higher and then should equalise

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

Ideally the mains cold pressure should be 3 to 5bar plus a good flow rate.Once the cylinder is full with cold water the standing pressure will be 3 bar due to the regulation of the PRV,so that once it is heated up & fully charged (expansion of hot water in a closed system)the pressure can be higher than the cold mains.This is often the case a does not cause a problem.

6. solenoid

solenoid New Member

lol, 40 yrs of plumbing and you think you can get 5 bar to an unvented cylinder!!!

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

That right Sole have 5-1/2bar incoming mains at the PRV on my Megaflo.

8. lol solenoid and why do you think you cannot get it then ???
    obviously if you have a 3 bar pressure reducing valve (as is often the case)you will not but otherwise no reason why not.
    seen many at this (and higher) pressures (not fitted by me I hasten to add)