Melamine kitchen door paint question

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by adambucky, Oct 7, 2018.

1. adambucky

adambucky New Member

Hi everyone...

I have malemine kitchen doors...
    They were repainted 4 years ago with international malemine paint in white.

We decided we wanted to change the colour of the units to a grey colour..
    I told my local store i was repainting my kitchen doors but didnt tell they were melamine doors... i just assumed as it had been painted with malemine before that i could just give it a little rub down and paint it...

I have used little greene intelligent eggshell eco.. which is water based i have let them dry for a few hours but i can just scratch it off... im a little upset with myself...

Is there anyway i can make this right or will i have to scrape it off and start again.. im an engineer by trade so painting is not something i do a lot of...

Or is there a sealer..
    I appreciate any comments or advice...

Thankyou

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

The eggshell was only been dry for a few hours so not surprising it scratched off as it can take up to 5 days to fully cure, eggshell paint is self undercoating and with sanding the previous surface to remove any sheen should adhere well so either wait a few days and re try the sctatch test. Failing that re sand the doors and paint them with a coat of Zinsser bullseye 123 and then the eggshell, don't be tempted to scratch test though as curing needs to take place.

adambucky likes this.
  3. adambucky

adambucky New Member

Wow thankyou... hopefully it will be ok with any luck. As said im totally inexperienced in this kind of thing... i painted my malemine fitted wardrobes with oil based paint and they are still spot on 6 months later... so i just assumed water based paint was wrong... ironically i just had a feel then and its getting better... thankyou for your advice..