Melamine?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lazyfrau, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

1. lazyfrau

lazyfrau New Member

Morning,
    1. Are kitchen cupboard doors and side panels finished in a plastic (melamine) coating?
    2. Can I paint it?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

There’s no ‘one size fits all’ so construction could be of several methods;

Vinyl Wrapped - basically plastic

Melamine - basically plastic

Sprayed Finish - basically paint

Probably others as well but good news is, yes, can all be painted, as ever, after following correct preparation

All doors and panels, trims, etc will need a good clean and degrease. Wash all surfaces with hot sugar soap solution, maybe twice if grubby and greasy

Wash finally with clean water, allow to dry

Obviously don’t submerge panels or over wet as likely to be MDF/Chip, and will soak up water and ‘blow’

Any knocks, dents, deep scratches at this stage ? Repair and fill using Ronseal 2 part wood filler. Sand down perfectly smooth and feathered in to surrounding

Now priming - use a quality high adhesion primer, would suggest Zinnser BIN, check instructions on tin, probably 2 coats, gives a great surface to paint over

Topcoat - would suggest Bedec Multi Surface Paint, again, a great product available in a range of finishes and colours

Not widely stocked unfortunately but check out Bedec website for your local stockist. Bedec also used to send out free paint samples - not sure if they still do as couldn’t see on their site other day, but give them a call

Primer/paint application - depends to a degree if doors are flat or panelled but if you can use a 4” roller, then great. Others have their favourites, foam, mohair, sheep skin, etc

I’ve used black foam rollers that don’t compress as much as usual foam sleeves. Roll slowly to avoid creating bubbles and you get a lovely finish with just a tiny almost invisible stipple. Or can just go for a brushed finish

Either way, yes, they can be painted and will look fantastic :)

lazyfrau likes this.
  3. lazyfrau

lazyfrau New Member

Blimey, that’s a very detailed response, thank you. I’m guessing you’re a very experienced painter.
    It’s a piece that was left over from new fit. I’ve sanded so not shiny anymore and nearer to white than the cream it was originally. Not a big job so it’s drying now. I’ve used emulsion white s will see if it: dries, needs another coat, stays it if knocked.
    Thanks again.

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Go to B&Q and look at the V33 range of paints especially produced for re-painting over all kitchen units whatever the previous finish, great product without all the faffing around preparation as previously mentioned and exceptionally easy to use, YouTube B&Q V33 paint. Best to use 4" felt roller to apply the paint.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Cheers mate but am I an experienced painter ??

Well not by trade, there’s a clue in my member name but, just done a lot of diy over the years

I’m confident I’ve given you sound advice but, of course, other views may well differ

As for using emulsion ...... dunno really, I wouldn’t but, what emuslion did you use and where is this panel being used and, what type of abuse will it be subjected to