Metabo KGS255

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dino101, Jun 4, 2008.

1. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

I'd probably go for that if it fits my 303. Like you say, the Makita has the flip stop, which is a better idea, but the play in the saw does leave it at a disadvantage. There is also significant play on the stop fitted to my LS1013 and the locking arrangement is pretty much non existent (LS1013 owners will know what I mean).

2. murrmac

murrmac Member

leicsjoiner, I too am interested as to whether it will fit the 303, if you would care to supply me with the following dimensions, I will tell you if it will fit. There isn't a 303 on display any place near me unfortunately, otherwise I would take the sizes myself ... :(

1. what is the distance on the 303 from the M6 (or might be M5) threaded depth stop to the side of the aluminium housing that contains the sawblade, measured from the outside edge of the threaded rod (on the 255 it is 30mm)

2. what is the width of the aluminium housing that contains the sliding mechanism. (on the 255 it is 110 mm)

supplying this info will entitle you to a substantial discount btw ... :)

3. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Ahh at last all is revealed...:)

You raise a very good point with the trenching facility, one I hadn't thought of having not used the saw much. However the more I think about it the more uses I can find for a reliable "repeatable" trench cutting facility & I wish you every success with your device :)

I would more than likely be interested in one of your devices...so if your require any trial users I'll gladly evaluate one for you...:) ;)

To be honest when I first got the 255 I wasn't sure if I liked the saw, however the more I have familiarised myself with it the more I like it. I'm also very happy to hear that the saw is a lot better built than a lot of the competition...especially the fact that the 255 has no play compared to others.

Do let us know how you come on with your device.

Regards.

4. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

Murrmac, I'll have a measure up tomorrow when I get a minute and let you know on this thread.

5. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

@ murrmac:

The bearing housing is 150mm wide, from the outside of the rod to the main body of the blade housing is 70mm.

6. murrmac

murrmac Member

thanks for that info, lj, the sizes are so radically different from the 255 that I will have to go and inspect a 303 at first hand.

doesn't sound like what I have developed for the 255 will be ideal for the 303, just a question of tweaking some dimensions, hopefully.

I will be taking a look at the 303 this coming Saturday morning and will get back to you.

7. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

murrmac,
    any idea when your device for the 255 will be available for release?

8. murrmac

murrmac Member

@ uncle buck: the initial batch should be available in fourteen days.

I will put up a link on this thread which will, of course, be greeted on all sides by loud cries of "SPAM".

I would expect nothing less.

@ leicsjoiner : regarding the 303, I had a close look at the machine yesterday, and unfortunately the quick release depth stop I have developed for the 255 will not be transferable to the 303.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to design a similar device for the 303, and I have a glimmer of an idea as to how it could be done, but it would be a lot trickier to develop a working prototype than it was for the 255.

one of the problems is that if you drill a hole anywhere in your mitre saw, you immediately void the warranty. (you do, I have checked with Metabo)

so any retrofit has to be accomplished without the drilling of holes. I was able to achieve this for the 255 after much pondering and burning of midnight oil etc, and one day in the not too distant future I might have a similar flash of inspiration for the 303.

9. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

I'd be interested in one if it ever saw the light of day. I'm able to get around it by ditching the M6 nut that was supplied and using a pair of 3mm thick knurled locknuts a mate of mine turned from some s/s bar. I can just set the top one to the right depth, then do up the lower one hard against it to keep the setting. Bit of a faff but it does work.

10. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

@ uncle buck: the initial batch should be available
    in fourteen days.

I will put up a link on this thread which will, of
    course, be greeted on all sides by loud cries of
    "SPAM".

I would expect nothing less.

Looking forward to seeing the link.

Thanks.

11. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

murrmac,
    any news on the device yet?

Regards.

12. murrmac

murrmac Member

hi, uncle buck, the device is still very much alive and kicking, unfortunately the engineers whom I contracted to produce the initial run tried to shaft me, they obviously didn't realise they were dealing with someone who is as much at home with metal machining as with wood machining.

in the light of this, my intention is now to produce a limited initial number , and to distribute them free to a few qualified customers for feedback purposes.

you will be among the few qualified customers.

we can arrange contact details later.

13. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Hi murrmac,
    Sorry to hear that you have had problems getting the device produced, hopefully you will find another company to do it without problem if you decide to market it.
    As has been mentioned in this thread having a reliable, repeatable depth stop would be a great advantage on the saw.

Thank you for your very kind offer, I would be glad to try your device & give you my opinion of it in everyday use.

Regards.

14. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

I'd like one of your devices. Having some kind of flip stop would be a great advantage.

15. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Hi,
    So how's it going with the device then? any developments?

Regards.

16. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

murrmac,
    Have you seem to have gone invisible all of a sudden...what's up?

17. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

murrmac,
    any chance of one of your devices then?

Regards.

18. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Am I ever going to get one of these off you?

19. murrmac

murrmac Member

uncle buck, it's been longer than I anticipated in the setting up, but it's here at last. I hope this comes out as a clickable link, it's been a long time since I had to deal with BB code ...

send a message through the Ebay "ask a question" facility and I will send you one for free, ( assuming you still have the KGS255 !)

20. murrmac

murrmac Member

well that didn't work, let's try [url "http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=180384574329"]this[/url]