metal filters on boilers

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by remegaz, Apr 29, 2010.

1. remegaz

remegaz New Member

Hi,
    had a British Gas engineer round today to fit a part to my boiler and he reckons plumbers who dont fit metal particle filters to new boilers are a bit cowboyish as they double the life of the boiler. Is this guy a numpty, is he correct in what he says, or is it just a money making scheme from British Gas.
    I'd really appreciate you lads opinion because this guy really wound me up.

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

BG engineers are salesmen/engineers, foxes in sheeps clothing, you're instincts are working well, they are con artists,

3. 4.6 GT

4.6 GT New Member

having cleaned a few out, even after only 6 months they do collect a lot of krap. If a system has been properly flushed though, it shouldn't need one.

4. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

the krap you mention is a integeral part of the system, like plankton in the sea, filter it and you change the whole makeup of the system, 40 years ago nobody had filters inhibitor or powerflush, and the systems lasted, well, 40 years, lets see how long the filtered , chemical filled, powerflush systems last , a good deal less is my forecast :)

5. mantor11

mantor11 New Member

40 years ago nobody had filters inhibitor or powerflush, and the systems lasted,

Ahh but don't forget tom 40 years ago boilers didn't have heat exchangers with waterways like hypodermic needles.

6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

The BG man was right even though everybody loves bashing them ,

Old boilers especially cast iron stuff had waterways which were huge and any rubbish floating about would eventually settle in the bottom of rads or just get pumped around,sometimes they would kill the odd pump but nothing drastic

The modern band A boiler is more then likely to use a stainless Steel heat exchanger made by ginnoni which unfortunately has only 5mm clearances in certain parts of the coil so if there is any loose magnetite floating about it will definitely get stuck in cylindrical shaped heat exchanger,another problem is these HE's are built on a manifold basis so not one continuous tube so once the system debris has settled there is nothing u can do even a powerflush will not remove it because its manifold the chemical will find the easiest route thus defeating the object

There is now MK2 HE designed by ginnoni after the numerous failures and manufacturers having to change them under warranty,they will always argue system wasn't cleaned it should have been installed on brand new system etc but we all know its poor design

So to cut long story short you really want to stop the debris getting in there in the first place and decent filter such as spirotrap combi should be fitted to stop all magnetic and non magnetic debris entering the system

Or you can listen to good ol tom who i think is stuck in the early 60's :)

7. mantor11

mantor11 New Member

ey you soprano leave my mate tom alone or it's the concrete overcoat for you.

8. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

thats so true mantie la 12 (antisipating you see this tomorrow ), and they proved that boilers dont need microscopic waterways to heat buildings,and water, so why the change, could it be money, profit,fat cat profiteering or am i a dinosaur, believeing that global warming was a ploy by thatcher to shut the mines down and destroy the north west community sending it spiralling down to the low level it is now of crime and desperation created by unemployment and self destruction, or is progress a good thing ?????
    been watchin the gov't polling shat on the telly, sorry.

9. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

tony, you been brain washed, listen to salesmen, you become a saleman,
    a plumber is for life not for selling,

10. mantor11

mantor11 New Member

my selling blag......cut chips fat and they'll take ages to cook, cut the same size potatoe into thin chips and they'll cook in half the time. Bigger surface area = more heat transfer = more efficient. same with waterways on boilers, lots of thin ones instead of a few wide ones.
    But they will block easier so I'll have to do you a powerflush. :^O **** round our way are too tight to fall for that one though.

11. 4.6 GT

4.6 GT New Member

changed s/steel heat ex on a glowworm 18hxi, 3 yrs old, blocked solid with "bits of metal" A magnafilter would have defo prevented it.And saved him £450

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

No Tom i havent been brainwashed mate,I actually repair boilers every single day for a leacding manufacturer,so i have plenty of experience of the band A boiler,you wanna move with the times as well mate and stop living in the past

You wont be able to fit any of the band B stuff shortly so might as well get used to it

13. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

mobster tony, A band boilers are no stranger to me, i've been fitting them since they became compulsory in 2005, and in that 5 years i hav't needed to go back and change any heat exchangers touch wood ( 2 taps on me head). not that i'm saying northeners are better fitters, though there is some truth in that, but the quality of water up here is much better that the chemical soup of lime and bacteria that you down there fill your systems with,and as for me moving with the times, well ok, but i like it here in the 1970,s