Metal shed recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Theleman, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Planning to get a new metal shed. I have never been keen on metal shed in the past, but that seems only choice for our back garden.

The old wooden shed is bad state full of holes and the foundation under the floor seems sunk into the ground, so the soil on the ground is visible through gaps of the floor.

There are couple of rain leaks too. But most serious problem is mice. I have noticed mice droppings in some of the boxes with books. I had to bin all the content in the boxes, and bleached the boxes.

So looking for a new metal shed this time. I have read reviews on metal sheds, and problem seems, thin low quality metals, possible damage from string winds and nightmare assembling procedure with thousands of screws and nuts.

And I am not sure which one would be best make either.

Size I am considering is eight by six. Any recommendations or advice? Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Buy wood.:)

Why the only choice?

Winter is coming,so mice want a warm home, lay a few bait traps.:)

Theleman likes this.
  3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sorry for my spelling mistake btw. string = strong.

Its first time that I have seen them in the shed. It was a shock and awe :(

As I had said, I never liked idea of metal shed, but I was getting fed up with these problems with wooden shed, so was thinking about going for metal one this time. But some of the negative reviews on metal sheds were horrendous too.

For 8x6 Argos seems doing for about 230£.

Wooden shed seem more expensive. But we have a couple of local shed maker and suppliers. Maybe will see what their prices are like.

Metal shed advantage would be maintenance free and fire and mice proof?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Metal sheds suffer badly from condensation in cold weather, like being in a shower.

Give me a wooden shed on a proper prepared base & off the ground every time for good underfloor through ventilation, stops damp & rot.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Astramax likes this.
  5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

How about cutting corner of the wall, and installing a wee ventilation fan?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There enough gaps already in a metal shed for ventilation,without making any more.:D

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Must be poor design itself these metal sheds. Strange that people keep buying them, if they are that bad eh?

I just went to local shed suppliers web site, and their price for 6x8 wooden shed is 399£ :(

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, the ones I've assembled,not impressed at all.

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Negative reviews on metal sheds were real, I suppose.

I will rethink on the decision. I can see your points.

10. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Theleman likes this.
  12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Omg, metal sheds nightmare.

Strange they are still being made and sold to people, and they have been around for many years.

Thanks for the thread, Dave. Cheers.

13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Back to the drawing board for metal shed decision.

Wooden sheds also have problems.

Need constant maintenance.
    Mice can come into the shed.
    More susceptible to fire.
    Need totally flat solid surface.
    Not easy to move about or transport.
    Twice more expensive than metal shed for same size.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a quailty solvent finish on shed,you can go about 6-7 years before another treatment is needed.

Totally flat surface also need for metal shed.

Mice can find their way into metal shed,only need a small hole.

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Thats incredible. Mice give me creeps. :(

I suppose 6-7 years for a solvent treatment isn't too bad actually. You must be super vigilant for any sparks then, in case shed catches fire especially it is solvent treated.

Right now I am spraying bleach mixed with water 1:1 on the old shed floor and walls and ceilings every other day.

Will reconsider which one to go for. Not an easy decision :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

more chance shed catching fire from neighbour bonfire,or fireworks, but I know one peep, who put his hot bbq against his wooden shed, you can guess what happened.:)

17. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

That happened to our neighbors shed across back garden. His wooden shed was in flames and smokes, and we were woken up by fire brigade staff at 3 in the morning to be alert.

They had some petrol fuel in the shed for lawn mower and petro hedge cutters, according to later rumors. Not sure how the fire started, but the shed blighted, and vanished with flames into ashes.

Too expensive and drastic method to eradicate mice if that was what they wanted, and even then mice would have just migrated to next door neighbors shed.

Since then, I got rid of all my petroL mowers and hedge cutters in my shed. I no longer keep any fuels or inflamables in my shed. I have been using hand push mower and rechareable battery powered hedge cutter.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  18. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

After having my wooden shed fall apart around me, I thought not again.
    So on the already blocked flooring, I built my own out of concrete blocks.
    Fitted a single glazed exterior door (second hand loads about nil cost) then finished off with a tiled roof.
    Will Last forever.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably mice playing with matches...:D

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best idea,not that difficult, got a 20' one here to build in spring.:)

Easy to work out how many blocks needed,allow 10 concrete blocks per sq mtr.

masterdiy likes this.