Metal tile trim going off in three directions - how to mitre it?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jan 6, 2014.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi - Happy New Year everyone.

Quite pleased with my tiling efforts (so far!)in our kitchen re-furb - many thanks to those who helped me with advice.

Pre-empting fitting a tile trim later along the top and side edges, I left out the tile adhesive around the margins so that the trim could be "retro fitted" by slotting in and gluing. This seems to work fine (I would stick them in with Evo stik or some such).

However I can't work out how to deal with cutting the mitres at the window reveal. I'm OK on the vertical and horizontal bits in two dimensions, using a standard mitre block, but I need to go into the reveal with a third length - a bit like fixing trim to the corner of a cube!

Does anyone have any tips for doing this (its Homelux brushed steel 9mm curved top).

Thank you

diymostthings

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I think I would mitre the top ones then square cut and butt the vertical one against them. Not sure about the evo-stick, you will need grout in the joint, so either grout or tile and grout adhesive would be my choice.

3. diymostthings

Thanks for that teabreak. I am coming to the conclusion that such a mitre is in fact impossible! I can't even picture it in my mind. So - I will probably do as you say - the vertical one is the least "on show". I'll just hang on for a while to see if any more pearls of wisdom are forthcoming!

As for the trim fixed with grout, I decided to butt the trip hard against the tile. It looks neat enough but from what you say this is obviously not standard practice.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

diymostthings

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

are you trying to achieve this (but folded outwards) - 3 cuts on each trim

[​IMG]

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Very neat:)

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it is, I'm not claiming that as mine - but it's actually not that hard to do if you can picture in your head where to cut, being able to think in 3 dimensions helps (kids do this annoyingly easily)

practise and a leccy mitre saw helps

7. diymostthings

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!!!!!!!! I shall hang your picture on my work bench to make the cuts.

Thank you very much Sean_ork!!

diymostthings

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's two cuts per trim, isn't it?

And those same cuts inverted would not do an internal, if that is what is required!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. diymostthings

No, an external corner is required - it's about half way up the reveal (not in the bottom corner- which is a normal 2D mitre).

Thanks again everyone. I'll get to work...

diymostthings