Meter Tails, to split or not to split

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tomsom, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Tomsom

Tomsom New Member

Hi people,

Just looking for some second/third opinions. I'm running power out to a home office and my CU is in the centre of the house.
    I've had two electricians come out and quote for the work - one suggested I run a cable out through my living room (along the skirting), through the external wall and then clipped to the wall round the house to the home office CU (office will only be about 1m from back of house..).
    The other suggested he split the meter tails and run a cable straight along the same wall to the home office, into a new CU.

Any reason not to do the latter? Seems like a tidier solution to me but wondered why the first didn't suggest it.

For reference I'm an Aircraft Electrician by trade, so understand most of the terminology but am in no way qualified to do the work - so one of the sparkys will be coming back, just trying to work out which one...

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

How much power do you need in the home office?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If the meter tails are to be split, you will need a protective switch/fuse there too.
    I'd go for that option.

Unless you like looking at a wadge of cable permanently clipped to your wall!

Tomsom likes this.
  4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Sounds like both Electricians are proposing the same thing.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Where is he planning on going with the second set of meter tails?!

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Are the tails being split in the meter box? Strictly speaking, you are not supposed to put any equipment in the meter box. This may be why one electrician is advising differently.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I thought that the first proposed feeding from the CU in the middle of the house, the second from the meter that (I presume) is in a more accessible location.
    Think we need more info from @Tomsom

8. Tomsom

Tomsom New Member

Sorry - I haven't been getting notifications so I thought I was going unanswered :\

@Jimbo - I think the draw will be about 10-15A. Biggest item will be a 700/800W infra heater, then just a bank of sockets for PCs and such (and some lights).

@Bazza is correct. First sparky was proposing a new run from the existing CU, out from the centre of the house - so a bit of a nause to run. Second is proposing splitting in the meter box, leaving one side to go into house CU, then t'other to run SWA to new home-office CU.

Pic of meter box below if it's of any use..

Attached Files:

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

How about taking a 13A FCU off an existing ring adjacent to the building, straight out in SWA to the office, then another FCU for lights and the sockets directly off the incoming connection. Subject to correct earthing that is.

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

not sure how he is going to fit Henley blocks and another KMF in there unless he splits after the existing KMF

11. Tomsom

Tomsom New Member

Rapidly approaching the limit of my knowledge - I know there's a 6mm cable to the oven (which is the other side of the wall from the home office location). With your suggestion, could they potentially take a feed from there? Assuming they could just upgrade the breaker it's currently connected to.

12. Tomsom

Tomsom New Member

Had to Google KMF :D.
    I would assume he'd split after the existing one, but he's had a look in the box so hopefully he has a plan.. He didn't share the detail with me though so please let me know if you don't think it's a viable option/not the best option.

13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

mid he think it works then fine but there isn’t much room left is there

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Care to explain how you would terminate SWA cable to a KMF?

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Just a DIYer here, reading out of curiosity...
    Unless I'm mistaken, that meter box picture shows a switch feeding a switch... If I'm right about that... Why? What's to be gained there??

Cando

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Be better to come from your consumer unit, fitting another switch fuse in your meter box will be tight

jonathanc likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Probably because the meter tails are longer than 3metres

Deleted member 246321 and Bazza like this.
  18. Sparkielev

Am hoping this doesn't turn into a bun fight and 50 page thread about the 3 metre rule

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You could be sorry you brought that up :D:D

Sparkielev likes this.
  20. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Easy Bazza, cut back the insulation and armour, wrap round with electrical tape and wire as normal :)

<attempt at humour there - DONT follow that method:)>